Berlin Olympiastadion station
Spandau suburban railway (km 16.2 )
The Berlin Olympic Stadium railway station is a railway station in the Berlin district of Westend. It consists of a suburban station, which is regularly served by trains of the Berlin S -Bahn, as well as a railhead for special trains during events at the nearby Olympic Stadium. At the opening of the racecourse Grunewald train station was in May 1909 under the name of track in operation and was presented at the 1936 Summer Olympic Games extensively remodeled. Between 1980 and 1998 the traffic was resting on an electric train.
Location and construction
The station is located on the southern edge of the Olympic site at kilometer 16.2 of the suburban railway from West Cross to Spandau. The facility has five platforms with a total of ten tracks, and disposals are located on the Flatowallee at the west end of the platforms and at mid-height of the platforms to the northerly Trakehner Allee. The southernmost platform serves the regular S -Bahn, the remaining four head platforms will be used at events. The station building is located on the Flatowallee equal to the suburb platform.
The entire system is a component of the overall system Spandau suburb train and listed as such in the Berlin state monument list.
With the opening of the station the first section of the Spandau suburb railway went into operation. The suburban rail should absorb the ever-increasing traffic between the cities of Charlottenburg and Spandau and at the same time serve to re- erschließendes terrain. A residents was the Union Club, who built a horse racing track in the northern part of the Grunewald forest and it needed a transport connection.
It was initially built only the racing station. This included eight platform tracks on five platforms (two pages, three central platforms ) as well as intervening bypass tracks and a two-storey reception building, which was held in the Nordic style. The northern platform F was also provided for the loading of horses near the racecourse, so was here, in addition to a staircase ramp. During construction, there was a siding to the existing mainline track Charlottenburg- Spandau, and a narrow- web to Stoessensee where at the same time work on the construction of the military road Döberitzer including Frey bridge and Stößenseebrücke were running.
The opening of the railway station racecourse took place on 23 May 1909. On the same day the track Grunewald was inaugurated in the presence of Emperor Wilhelm II. The traffic was initially limited to special trains on race days. On September 5, 1911 along with the total distance of the southern suburb platform was A in operation. West of the railway Rising received a downside of this system to let it end features at smaller events, without taking the racing station in operation.
On August 23, 1928, the station was connected to the electric suburban network from which in 1930 gave rise to the Berlin S-Bahn. May 15, 1930, the name was changed in the stadium - Racecourse Grunewald, to refer to the Grunewald station, which was created in 1913 within the racecourse.
By awarding the Olympic Games to the imperial capital of the conversion of the land to the Reich Sports Field, today's Olympic site was. The station was renamed this on May 1, 1935 in Reichssportfeld and expanded in this period, designed by Fritz Hane. The station building was replaced by a open hall that seemed better suited for handling the flow of visitors. In addition, the pedestrian bridge with output Trakehner Allee went into operation. Furthermore, the German Reichsbahn built an electro-mechanical interlocking - Rsa later Osa ( Olympiastadion - branching point ) - close to the railway station adjacent highway and automatic train detection systems. The capacity was increased to 48,000 visitors every hour.
During the Second World War there were draws closer to the front to repeated operation restrictions. Between 27 April 1945 and 9 June 1945, the traffic completely rested.
For May 29, 1960 called the German Reichsbahn to the station in the Olympic Stadium. About a year later, the West Berlin Senate called on the occasion of the Wall for a boycott operated by the Deutsche Reichsbahn train. The traffic at the Olympic Stadium station then went back as in many parts of the network, dramatically. Nevertheless, continued the German Reichsbahn at various events Special trains to the train station. In addition to league games of Hertha BSC these included the matches of the Football World Cup in 1974 and the German Protestant Church Congress in 1977.
After the kingdom workers strike In 1980, the Reichsbahn traffic on a Spandau's suburban railway on 19 September 1980. After the transfer of the operating rights to the Berlin transport company in early 1984, these and the Senate proposed a re-commissioning of the track. Work on this took place in the 1990s.
Large parts of the plant were demolished and rebuilt for the reconstruction, including all platforms and the pedestrian bridge to the Trakehner Allee. The Special F platform was abandoned. On 16 January 1998 went with the reopening of the section of West Cross Pichelsberg the suburb platform A and B of the special platform, now with two platform edges, into operation. The remaining five platforms followed the anniversary 75 years S -Bahn on 29 May 1999. Event The station has since had a capacity of 40,000 travelers per hour. A sold-out Olympic Stadium could thus be " emptied " in less than two hours.
The station is currently served by the S5 S-Bahn Berlin, there is a transfer possibility to various bus lines of the Berlin Transport Authority. From 1936 to 1966 there was also a connection to the Berlin tram network, which was almost exclusively served at events.