Berlin Hackescher Markt station
- Berlin Stadtbahn ( 2.9 km ) ( KBS 200.5, 200.7, 200.75 )
Hackescher Markt Train Station is a facility located in the Berlin district of Mitte of the district of the same station on the light rail. The Grade II listed building is situated directly at Hackescher Markt and is served by trains of the Berlin S-Bahn. The station was opened in 1882 as a stop stock market, 1951 was renamed Marx- Engels-Platz. Since 1992, the S-Bahn station transmits its current name.
Location and construction
The breakpoint is located at kilometer 2.9 of the Berlin metropolitan railway between the stations Alexanderplatz and Friedrichstraße. The brick viaduct on which runs the route is bordered in the area of the station from the garrison church square and Henriette-Herz - place in the south and the street Am Zwirngraben in the north; the eponymous course is located north of it.
The station was built in the historic style of the Italian Renaissance, and has a central platform with two tracks for the S -Bahn trains. The 162 meter long platform is covered in the eastern area over a length of 104 meters with a hall, the western platform area is of a einstieligen construction. The Hall facade is made of red brick and adapts to the walled city viaduct on. Ornaments and decorate this rose window. The hall roof is a wooden construction with a pointed skylight along the platform center. The long track pair is piped to outside the south side of the hall over.
The stairways located at the ends of the platform hall and run under the viaduct to the outputs. An elevator installation exists on the western entrance. The railway arches below the railway station to be used only gastronomically. One of nearby Service Store of the Deutsche Bahn serves since 2011 as a point of sale of tickets.
The station was built in the years 1880-1882 according to plans by Johannes Vollmer, who emerged as the winner in an architectural competition. Due to the proximity to the Berlin Stock Exchange, the station was designated stock exchange. In the first year in which the foundation was started and after full ending the hall roof of the same set; the expansion of the station took place the following year. The construction proved to be relatively complicated because the ground under the old twine mill, which was located at this point, was often different. An individual therefore different types of foundation piers were necessary.
On February 6, 1882 The city of light rail tracks in the presence of Emperor William I and Minister Albert Maybach were busy and visited, the next day they were put into operation together with the stop Exchange. The equipment of only the city and ring road serving stations was largely the same: There was a big departure hall along with three to four ticket counter, or two waiting rooms, two separate toilet facilities, offices and operating rooms for staff and equipment. The waiting rooms were replaced soon after the opening of bus shelters on the platform.
In March 1903 was carried out in two steps to increase the platforms from 23 to 76 inches above top of rail to allow linking the suburban trains to the city and circle line trains.
Originally, the platform halls the city train stations were covered with corrugated iron. The use of coke-fired locomotives led to the corrosion of roofs, so that the cover had to be replaced in the 1920s. The exchange station as received a wooden cover. At the same time began an extensive renovation of the railway arches and their reinforcement to withstand so steadily increased axle loads. A short section between the stock market and the Spree was left at these measures outside before. The smoke exposure declined shortly thereafter with the electrification of the rail to a further notice. The use of electrical railcar from the June 11, 1928 was preceded by other extensions, including the extension of the platform to the west and its increase to 96 inches above top of rail now. Near the train station was a sub-station. The conversion to electrical operation went on for about three quarters of a year; in March 1929 reversed the last regular steam trains on the city tracks.
The 1937 worked out plans to transform Berlin into the, world capital Germania ' provided for the removal of the long-distance transport in the rail. Of the four tracks the inner pair of tracks would have been used by the S -Bahn, while the outer tracks would have served a long-distance train. However, apart from the track plans no further data to transform this construction. They were also never taken over in attack. Instead, there were several damage to the rail and its stations. The end of World War II set traffic could be resumed at the track in November 1945 after makeshift repairs. The assets of the sub-station was expanded in the summer of 1953 as war reparation and removed.
On 1 May 1951, the renaming of the station in Marx- Engels-Platz was. The now known as Castle Square space was however more than 600 meters away on the Spree Island. The hall was a short time later a red inner lining.
In 1974, the S-Bahn station was registered in the district monument list. 1986, the railway station on the occasion of the upcoming 750th anniversary of the city was restored landmark status. The red wall covering was thereby removed. The facades and spaces below the station were involved in the work with the required form bricks were fired in the brick and tile factory Grossraeschen. The S-Bahn trains were passed during the work partly through the remote tracks in the hall.
After completion of the restoration the missing piece of the viaduct between S-Bahn station and Spree was extensively renovated by the VEB Dresden bridge. This prefabricated Plastgleitkissen were hydraulically pulled under the arches and the exterior walls then veneered with concrete segments.
After the turn, there was discussion about renaming the S-Bahn station. The previous name was politically motivated and also inaccurate what the situation was concerned. A working group of BVV center decided in 1991 to form back naming Stock Exchange, the Berlin Senate sat down but with a name change to Hackescher Markt through. The name change became effective on 31 May 1992. The immediately nearby tram stops had this name already, so the Umsteigebeziehung between two transport could now also be better reflected.
Two years after the renaming of the German railway began with the extensive renovation of the rail. The remaining long-distance traffic was stopped and the train moved to the remote tracks from 17 October 1994 were as holding only to the actual remote stations possible. Since the S-Bahn station Hackescher Markt, however, represented an important transfer point between S -Bahn and tram, was created a provisional platform for trains heading east after protests IGEB. The renovation work on the S-Bahn station itself fell from relatively low and mainly related to the renewal of the platforms, the installation of a reactive control system and an elevator system for barrier-free access. After completion of work, the train was on 21 October 1996 swiveled back to her intended track pair and uses the S-Bahn station again regularly in both directions.
The halt was initially operated from 1882 by the City and Circle Line trains. From 1903 came other compounds in the eastern, southeastern and western suburbs, which were summarized in 1930 the Berlin S-Bahn. The direct connections from the city to ring railway now play a subordinate role.
The S-Bahn station is currently served by the lines S5, S7 and S75, the S- Bahn Berlin, making direct connections to Spandau, Potsdam, Strausberg and Wartenberg exist. Interchanges exist with the tram lines M1, M4, M5 and M6. In Berlin night transport network is the Hackescher Markt is located next to the S- and U- train station Zoologischer Garten Berlin, one of the central transfer points.