- Berlin- Hamburg Railway ( 12.5 km )
- Berlin Lehrter Railway ( 12.7 km )
- SFS Hannover- Berlin (km 112.7 )
- Spandau suburban railway (km 21.4 )
The train station Berlin -Spandau to the underground station Rathaus Spandau is a railway station in the town district of Spandau district of Berlin. It is located close to the old town of Spandau and belongs to the train station category 2 Train services from Lehrterstraße web and the Hamburg railway is collected here and on the center of Berlin - the Berlin Stadtbahn and the Hamburg- Lehrter / Berlin Hauptbahnhof ( deep) - redistributed. At the same station the temporary end of the S -Bahn to its continuation in the county Havel country. Apart from the fact that most buses stop in front of any of the station entrances, but on Old Town Square, the bus stops Spandau station and Rathaus Spandau in front of the station entrance with more than ten regional bus lines and are - partly served in dense clock - city bus lines next to the Hardenberg place the strongest bus node in Berlin.
- 4.1 Regional and intercity transport
- 4.2 Highway
The station has six platform edges, four for regional and long-distance traffic, two for the Berlin S-Bahn. Outside the vierschiffigen Hall is also located a freight track. He is out in the establishment Jobs Directory of Deutsche Bahn under the short name BSPD, the S-Bahn part under BSPA.
Under running rail operation of the station between 1996 and 1998 was built to plans from the popular traffic construction architects Gerkan, Marg and Partners ( gmp). Its design builds on the distinctive roofs tons of glass that fully roofed over with a length of 432 meters, the platforms at the classic railroad architecture. A simple platform tunnel, also parallel to the new road breakthrough at the Spandau railway station, next to the lobby under the tracks at the monastery road provides access to the platforms.
The lobby is relatively small with 16 meters width. Regardless of the sales area of the then still on the grounds of the former freight depot in Spandau Spandau Arcades planning led to only a modest facilities with shops. In addition, the station design was biased by the maglev connection Hamburg-Berlin, since this one still distinct route south of the present railway station had to be kept free. So ultimately the cramped staircases between lobby and the narrow railway Rising came about afflicting the travelers stream.
With a special record to the Spandau station can decorate: It is 440 meters, the longest Hall station in Germany.
As early as 1871 it was at this point the newly opened Berlin- Lehrter railway, the one called to distinguish it from the Hamburg train station in Spandau as Lehrter train station. This station was closed on October 1, 1890 for passenger again - the suburban and long-distance trains stopped in Spandau only at the Hamburg train station, which was now called Spandau passenger station. The Lehrter station took over the freight traffic of the city of Spandau and remained as Spandau freight station in the grounds is now the shopping center Spandau Arcades. The half-timbered building of the former station building of the Lehrter station was dismantled in 1890 and 1891 was "City Park " built in the district of hook field as a restaurant again, the final demolition was carried out until 1966.
This station was opened on July 15, 1910 initially as Spandau suburb station next to the train yard. In the same year was renamed in his Spandau West, about the same time as the passenger station Spandau ( Hamburger Bahnhof ) the name Spandau received Hauptbahnhof.
The new suburban station was cheaper than the main station, because nearer to the Altstadt Spandau and the then under construction new city hall. The platforms in an embankment received at their ends below the tracks the reception halls, even compared to the Galen Street, also in the amount of the confluence of the Staakener road. In the Seegefelder street, where a transitional tunnel was to small train station of Osthavelländischen Railway
As a three-pronged system with two platforms, in which the average track lay on either side of the central platforms, the station took on the ending here Spandau suburb train from the city railway. The tracks of the Hamburg- people Lehrter train from Lehrter Station introduced the long-distance past the north and south sides of the platforms.
About crossovers to and from the passenger railroads also used the local trains from Lehrter Station and continue to Nauen or Wustermark the Spandau suburb tracks. West of the station joined the separation of persons tracks for the common suburban and long-distance transport in Hamburg and Lehrter. The suburban railways itself ended in a four-track sidings for trains returning in Spandau.
The bustling traffic at the station of commuters between Berlin, Spandau, and the osthavelländischen places you can hardly imagine today compared to the modest regional traffic yet. Also called the Spandau suburb conductor rails in the electrification of the Berlin City, ring and suburban railways ( from 1930 referred to as " S -Bahn " ) received, the joint operation with the steam suburban trains remained from Lehrter station.
In the 1930s, the steam suburban trains reached by Lehrter Bahnhof Spandau Westbahnhof, like the ending here electrical paths from the light rail, in 10 -minute intervals and then drove alternately to Nauen and Wustermark in 20 -minute intervals on. Witnesses report enthusiastic about the rain transfer traffic between S -Bahn and the suburban railways, because he was then quickly and conveniently on the same platform possible.
In today's Berlin -Spandau railway station platform the cumbersome switching between S -Bahn and regional transport is an obstacle, which again can push through Spandau addition, next to the back increasing commuter traffic and the lack of development on the outskirts extension of the S-Bahn.
For the first time on August 23, 1928, was called " Spandau West, remain " for the S -Bahn to Spandau. If also a leader on the Lehrter station, the electrical did not use the same path as the long-distance trains, but drove over the rail and Spandau suburban railway to the west. Spandau West should this actually only a few years left terminus, an extension to Wustermark or Falkirk and Nauen was always planned.
The measures provided for in the 1930s and 1940s expansion measures were only marginally exploited. As of 1951, the first S -Bahn trains on Spandau West also went to Falkirk or along Lehrterstraße train to Staaken. In the opposite direction you could now reach the S -Bahn also to Virgin heath and to ring railway. At the same time Lehrterstraße station in Berlin was closed in 1951. The German Reichsbahn took the steam suburban trains in the surrounding area permanently to the S -Bahn endpoints back in Spandau West only stopped commuter trains.
The construction of the Wall on 13 August 1961 covered the station indirectly. The S-Bahn trains to Falkirk already ended in Spandau West. The S -Bahn to Staaken was interrupted for several months. Rather, the track was affected and therefore also the station of the Berlin S-Bahn boycott. Not longer required facilities were exposed to the ravages of time, remedial measures were rare, the traffic on the routes became increasingly thinned. Your low point reached the S -Bahn to the kingdom workers strike from 17 September 1980. The German Reichsbahn did not respond to the demands of the Railwaymen and put almost the entire S -Bahn traffic down in the western part of the city. For the Spandau routes and thus the Spandau Westbahnhof meant September 25, 1980 the end. At the orphaned station only drove freight trains and passenger trains to and from Hamburg by on the remote tracks.
Station Berlin- Spandau
The acquisition of the S -Bahn by the SNB on 9 January 1984 should bring a reopening of the route on a new S-Bahn station Rathaus Spandau ( Spandau instead of West) up to Staaken with it. However, this was only noticed once in the distant future, when the U -Bahn line U7 ( located immediately at Spandau Westbahnhof) went on 1 October 1984 after Rathaus Spandau in operation.
In the same decade the first plans for the ICE connection Hannover- Berlin emerged, initially intended as a transit route, started for the negotiations with the GDR in the fall of 1988. The fall of the wall, and finally the loss of the negotiating partner, with the still in June 1990 an agreement was reached on the route, gave further impetus planning.
The already in transforming the Spandau railway facilities in 1910 contemplated transfer to the railway station from across the Havel (former Spandau railway station) directly to the old town and the town hall should now - where in any case the replacement of worn equipment was needed - be realized. In addition, the operational concept provided for the resumption of traffic on the Spandau suburb train with option of renewal in the surrounding area for the S-Bahn.
From the limited urban design competition for the new mainline and S-Bahn station was 1993, the design of the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava as the winner out. Calatrava saw the deck of platforms by office building - similar to later at the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof - before. This led to difficulties in financing and long discussions of his plan. Finally, we chose the third-ranked draft of the German architects Gerkan, Marg and Partners, which was created after a revision of the originally open to both sides roof design between 1996 and 1998. Objections of the passenger federations against the plan approval reached a better design of access facilities to the S platform.
On 19 May 1997, a first platform of the new station Berlin- Spandau was opened to traffic, initially held only long-distance and regional trains. The train reached the station hall then finished on 30 December 1998.
To start the new parent Berlin railway junction, on 28 May 2006, the number of daily Regionalzughalte the number of Fernzughalte was reduced from 250 to 212, increased from 66 to 100.
Critics inadequate interpretation of the station.
The underground station Rathaus Spandau is the western terminus of the U7 of Berlin's subway. It was opened on 1 October 1984, after he had been created in cover design to disturb the surface traffic as little as possible. With its two central platforms, designed by Rainer G. Rümmler station has almost monumental dimensions. At its southern end the platforms are spanned by a gallery on the move passengers to the surface and from which the entire station can be overlooked. Metro Station also includes the interlocking for the route to Paulsternstraße.
The U -Bahn line U7 stops the running in the United profile center tracks, the troughs running in the small profile of the outer tracks are currently empty and scheduled for the beginning of a planned extension of the subway line U2, which is currently only up to the subway station Ruhleben leads. A unique feature of the Berlin subway, this line is used to keep in the left-hand traffic on the platforms to improve transfer connections for the planned extensions of the U7 to Staaken and U2 into Falkenhagener field. When and if these extensions are built, is not yet in sight.
Although the train station is very close to Spandau S-Bahn station, he retained his name. It so happens that the BVG bus lines are always shown with the label S U Rathaus Spandau, the S-Bahn station, however, only with S Spandau.
The station is served by several ICE, IC and regional trains of Deutsche Bahn, as well as the S5 of the Berlin S-Bahn. On the nearby underground station Rathaus Spandau U7 Furthermore keep as well as numerous bus routes ( including M32, M37, and M45 ) of the BVG and regional bus companies from the surrounding area.
In spring 2006, the plans have been decided finally for an extension of a single-track S -Bahn tracks by Falkirk. However, the start of construction depends on the financing options. After the SPD and CDU have decided a grand coalition after the House of Representatives elections in 2011, according to the coalition agreement, the plans to extend the tram route will be promoted " from Spandau railway station to the west to Falkirk ".