Brindisi â€“ Salento Airport
I8 i10 i12
Together with the Bari airport he handles the largest part of commercial air traffic in Puglia. The most important compounds are the Rome - Fiumicino and Milan.
The port of Brindisi served from 1916 as a base for military seaplanes. In addition to military installations created 1923-1925 at the port and terminal facilities for civilian flying boats that were in Italy in the 1920s in the settlement of commercial air travel in the foreground. From 1928 Brindisi was an important stop for commercial flights to Albania, Greece, Turkey and the Orient. Located on the harbor facilities was extended 1931-1937 by directly north, installed its airfield for conventional land planes. During World War II the military use was in the foreground, commercial flights but were carried out until 1943.
In 1947 they gave a portion to the west of the airport of civil aviation. There was a passenger terminal with advance and other facilities. The Italian Air Force still remained the owner of the airport. In the south and east of the site they stationed until 1994 combat aircraft and rescue helicopters by 2012. Since 1994, the military part is mainly used by the United Nations. There is a large logistics center of the United Nations World Food Programme (United Nations Logistics Base - UNLB and United Nations Humanitarian Response Depot - UNHRD ). The military part is still connected by a taxiway with the former terminal facilities for flying boats in the harbor, making the logistics center can also handle sea transport.
In 2005, the Italian Air Force handed over the Brindisi airport civil aviation authority ENAC, however, the joint use military reserved the right. The operation of the civilian side was taken over the Apulian airport company SEAP.
Fiat G.91 as Gate Guardian
G. 91 in Brindisi