Cedar Rapids (Iowa)
Cedar Rapids is a city and county seat of Linn County in the U.S. state of Iowa. According to census of 2010, the city has 126 326 inhabitants. It was named after the nearby Cedar River.
Cedar Rapids is marketed as the "City of Five Seasons ", the fifth season is "a time to enjoy. " The term " Five Seasons " appeared in the city in various forms on.
Cedar Rapids has the Eastern Iowa Airport, a regional airport, which is served by several major U.S. airlines.
Interstate 380 crosses the city in a north-south direction.
Four freight railroads Union Pacific Railroad, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway ( Crandic ), Canadian National Railway and Northern Iowa, the city operate on schedule. Crandic and the Iowa Interstate Railroad have their headquarters in Cedar Rapids.
Economy and Employment
Cedar Rapids is sponsored by two companies, both in jobs and economic. One is the producer of cereals Quaker Oats (owned by PepsiCo ), the other is Rockwell Collins, a company that radio and communication equipment among other things, for Boeing and NASA designed and produced.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Douglas Barr ( born 1949 ), actor, screenwriter, director and winemaker
- George Joseph Biskup (1911-1979), Archbishop of Indianapolis
- Geof Darrow ( born 1955 ), cartoonist
- Don DeFore (1913-1993), actor
- Bobby Driscoll (1937-1968), Academy Award-winning U.S. child star of the 40s and 50s
- Michael Emerson (born 1954 ), actor
- Terry Farrell ( born 1963 ), actress, and former fashion model
- Robert Fletcher ( * 1922 ), Costume
- James William Good (1866-1929), politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Beulah Gundling (1916-2003), synchronized swimmer, Aquatic artist and choreographer
- John Hench (1908-2004), illustrator, story boarders and Production Designer
- Victor Hopkins (1904-1969), cyclist
- Zach Johnson (born 1976 ), professional golfer on the PGA TOUR
- Ashton Kutcher (born 1978 ), actor and show host
- Ron Livingston ( born 1968 ), actor
- John Sandford (1944 ), writer
- Riley Smith (born 1978 ), actor and model
- Harvey Sollberger ( b. 1938 ), flautist, composer and conductor
- Carl Van Vechten (1880-1964), photographer and author
- Elijah Wood ( born 1981 ), actor