Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane


  • Innocenzo Cippolletta, President
  • Mauro Moretti, CEO

The Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane (FS; until June 21, 2011 Ferrovie dello Stato ) is the national railway company of Italy.

The FS was created by Law No 137 of 22 April 1905. Consequently, the public sector was given the directive for the parts of the Italian railways, which have not been released to private companies. On 15 June the same year was created by decree of the Ferrovie dello Stato in life, which in turn was placed under the management by the Ministry of Public Works.


The newly founded FS were placed under the railway companies, which were not privately owned. This concerned in particular the:

  • Società Italiana per le strade meridionali ferrate (SFM ), operator of the Rete Adriatica (RA ), with last 5602 km distances in Lombardy, Veneto and the area of ​​the Adriatic Coast
  • Società per le Strade Ferrate del Mediterraneo, operator of the Rete Mediterranea (RM ), with last 5765 km distances in Piedmont and the southwest
  • Società per le Strade Ferrate della Sicilia, operator of the Rete sicula (RS), with last 1093 km routes to Sicily.

1906 sold the FS the private network of the SFM ( Adriatic railway with several branch lines).

In early 1998 founded the FS Italiana Trasporti Ferroviaria a subsidiary for the IC and high-speed traffic. The State Railway held a share of 51 percent of the company, the remaining 49 percent, a consortium of eight banks.

A consortium of FS and the French and Luxembourg financial investor Cube Infrastructure bought in early December 2010, the Arriva Germany which subsequently received the name Netinera by Deutsche Bahn.

Because of the obstacle to market access of competitors Arenaways responsible for traffic FS Trenitalia and the subsidiary responsible for the infrastructure Rete Ferroviaria Italiana condemned the Italian Antitrust Authority on 25 July 2012 on fines.


In 2000 there was a division into separate operating companies. The FS has today announced the following subsidiaries:

  • Trenitalia: range of people and goods
  • Rete Ferroviaria Italiana (RFI ): Region rail network and rail infrastructure
  • Italferr: field engineering and project services.
  • Grandi Stazioni: operators of the 13 largest railway stations in Italy: Bari Centrale (Bari )
  • Bologna Centrale (Bologna)
  • Firenze S.M.N. (Santa Maria Novella ) (Florence )
  • Genova Brignole (Genoa )
  • Genova Piazza Principe (Genoa )
  • Milano Centrale ( Milan )
  • Napoli Centrale (Naples)
  • Palermo Centrale (Palermo)
  • Pisa Centrale (Pisa)
  • Roma Termini ( Rome)
  • Torino Porta Nuova (Turin )
  • Venezia Mestre ( Venice)
  • Verona Porta Nuova (Verona )