French Academy in Rome
The Académie de France à Rome is a 1666 based study center, the talented students of the Paris Academy of Fine Arts ( Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture, then Académie des Beaux -Arts ) is designed to provide the opportunity to study the art treasures of Italy. The fellows were until 1968 in a discharged annually determined competition, called the coveted Prix de Rome scholarship.
- 2.1 directors
First Phase: From the Ancien Regime to the French Revolution
The plan to set up a study center in Rome was built in 1664 at the instigation of the new Superintendent of Buildings Jean -Baptiste Colbert. The aim was to control of what awaited the king of his fellows: " that the painter reason and elevations of all the beautiful palaces to copy any beautiful paintings, sculptors statues from the antique and the architects both Rome and the environment." (Statutes of 1666, Article XI) Rents In the house of the Abbot Salamanca at Sant ' Onofrio on the Janiculum. Easter 1667 resided the first director Charles Errard there with eleven art students - including the first-prize winners of 1664: Pierre Monier ( 1641-1703 ), Jean -Baptiste Corneille and Léonard Roger.
With the acquisition of the Protectorate of the mother Academy by Colbert (as successor of the deceased Chancellor Pierre Séguier 1672 ) and the competition received a systematic process. From 1673 were usually two Prix de peinture and two Prix de sculpture, awarded in 1720 and the Prix d'architecture. The winners of the first prizes were awarded medals and the entitlement to a three-year stay in Rome mostly. New in 1673 was the property: Palazzo Caffarelli near Sant 'Andrea della Valle on Corso. More change of residence occurred in 1685 in the Palazzo Capranica on the opposite side of the Corso and 1725 in the Palazzo Mancini ( 1737 acquired on behalf of the King of France) at the Via del Corso.
During the riots in the wake of the French Revolution, the Roman branch of the Art and the Academy of Architecture of the king was not spared. The destruction and looting of the Palazzo Mancini in February 1793 escape of several scholars to Naples or Florence followed a few months later the closure.
Prize winners (selection)
- Louis de Boullogne ( premier prix in 1673 )
- Henri de Favanne ( 1693)
- Alexis Simon Belle (1700)
- Charles -Joseph Natoire (1721 )
- François Boucher (1723 )
- Joseph -Marie Vien ( 1743)
- Jean- Honoré Fragonard (1752 )
- François -André Vincent ( 1768)
- Jacques -Louis David (1774 )
- Nicolas Coustou ( 1682)
- Jean -Louis LeMoyne ( 1687 )
- René Frémin ( 1694 )
- Guillaume Coustou the Elder (1697 )
- François Dumont ( 1709)
- Edme Bouchardon (1722)
- Jean -Baptiste LeMoyne ( 1725)
- Guillaume Coustou D. J. ( 1735)
- Augustin Pajou (1748 )
- Jean -Antoine Houdon (1761 ).
Twelve directors shaped the Académie de France à Rome during the first 127 years of existence.
- Charles Errard (1666 - 1673 & 1675 - 1684)
- Noël Coypel (1673 - 1675)
- Matthieu de La Teullière (1684 - 1699)
- René- Antoine Houasse (1699 - 1704)
- Charles -François Poerson (1704 - 1725)
- Nicolas Vleughels (1725 - 1737)
- Pierre de L' Estache (1737 - 1738)
- Jean François de Troy (1738 - 1751)
- Charles -Joseph Natoire (1751 - 1775)
- Dazw. provisionally Noël Hallé
- Joseph -Marie Vien (1775 - 1781)
- Louis -Jean -François Lagrenée (1781 - 1787)
- François -Guillaume Ménageot (1787 - 1793)
Second Phase: From the Directoire until today
In October 1795, the National Convention prepared the resettlement of the Académie de France. Although nominated in November 1792, the new director Joseph -Benoît Suvée could refer his post in November 1801. In May 1803 although the decision to move to the Villa Medici on the Pincio. The Académie de France has been the (new ) Institut de France affiliated, organizes the Prix de Rome by the Académie des Beaux -Arts.