The Gower Peninsula (Welsh Penrhyn Gwyr ) is one of the tourist attractions of Wales and Snowdonia next to one of the best -known regions there. It was in 1956 the first area of the British Isles, the " region of outstanding natural beauty ' was awarded the title of Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The peninsula is bounded by Swansea in the east and the Loughor estuary to the north. The northwestern region of the coast is known for its shellfish beds in Penclawdd. On the northwestern tip is the small settlement of Cwm Ivy. Gower is a popular holiday destination, and preferred place of residence of pensioners and wealthy people. The over 100 km ² peninsula is famous for its magnificent coastline. The Three Cliffs Bay in the south is a popular photo opportunity. For hikers and nature-lovers and surfers she finds great interest. The interior mainly consists of farmland and public open spaces. The peninsula is part of the municipal area of Swansea, which adjoins the east. On the peninsula itself, there are only small villages, the most famous Rhossili, Pennard, Oxwich, Bishopston, Ilston, Parkmill and Kittle are. The southern coast consists of a number of narrow, rocky or sandy coves such as Langland, Caswell and Three Cliffs Bay.
Economically, the region is dominated by agriculture, but tourism plays an increasingly important role in the lives of the inhabitants. Nevertheless, most residents work in nearby Swansea. Low taxes, little industry and the high demand for retirement seats have let the house prices are soaring. Along with this, an aging population is to determine because younger people can not pay these prices.
In a cave in the south of Paviland Gowers a human skeleton was established in 1823 by William Buckland found, called Red Lady of Paviland, which is now interpreted as a remnant of a young man. This skeleton is attributed to an age of about 30,000 years or even 33,000 years, according to recent research.
On Gower are the megaliths:
- Arthur's Stone ( Maen Ceti )
- Park Cwm Parc le or Breos Cwm
- Penmaen Burrows
- Sweyne Howe 's North
- Sweyne Howe 's South
There are also menhirs or standing stones:
- Burry 's
- King Arthur's
- Llanrhidian 's
- Old Walls
- Port Eynon Point
- Samson 's Jack
- Tyr Mawr Farm
In the wake of the Norman occupation of Glamorgan possession went to the region Gwyr or Gower over to the British and the western part was one of the most English- oriented regions of Wales. The conquerors secured their possession by the castles of Swansea, Loughor, Oystermouth, Pennard Penrice and the plant. Villages in the north- east of the peninsula, as Penclawdd and Gowerton remained but strictly speaking Welsh grade to the middle of the 20th century.