The small island of Orkney is Graemsay each 1-2 km away from the two large islands of Mainland and Hoy, to which there are regular ferry services.
The island is flat with a size of 4.09 km ², with a length ( east-west ) of 3 km and a width of 2 km.
The name Grim goes back to the Anglo-Saxons. He is synonymous with the pagan god Odin. See also Grimsby, Grim's Dyke (for the Antonine Wall ), Grim's Ditch an earthwork, Grimspound in Devon, Grims Lake Mire ( a stone box in the Grims lake mud ), Grimsbury place in Oxfordshire, Grimsthorpe Castle ( Grims village), Grimsay island of the Hebrides, Grimes Graves flint mines, Grimsetter ( Grims seat) of Orkney and Shetland, Grimshader ( Grims seat) on Lewis and Harris, as well as several places called Grimston. Grim's Grave is a Bronze Age stone box (also kistvaen ) in Dartmoor. The name means Grims Island.
For almost 30 inhabitants livestock is the main source of income. Both in the West ( Hoy Sound Low Light House ) and in the east of the island ( Hoy Sound High Light House) is a lighthouse, both of which were built in 1851 for the protection of shipping in dangerous due to strong currents Hoy Sound.