Irvine, North Ayrshire
Irvine (Gaelic: Irbhinn ) is a town in the Scottish Unitary Authority North Ayrshire.
Irvine is a coastal town in the southwest of North Ayrshire. It is about eleven kilometers west of Kilmarnock and 19 km north of Ayr. By Irvine Irvine, the river flows and flows into the elongated Irvine Bay. On the southern outskirts opens the Annick Water in the Irvine and shortly before his mouth of the Garnock.
Although Irvine is one of the five Scottish cities plan, it may refer to a long history. Maybe the harbor has already been installed around 1240 by King Alexander II as a Royal Burgh. Secured is the awarding of the Burgh rights by King Robert I in 1308. Since the Clyde in the past was not until Glasgow navigable, Irvine served for centuries as a port for the supply of Glasgow. Only with the deepening of the Clyde and the establishment of Port Glasgow in the 18th century, the port lost importance. Later, the ship building, wood processing Bert instincts and chemical industries settled in Irvine. In the 1780s the poet Robert Burns lived in Irvine.
In the 1841 census 4594 people lived in Irvine. After 7534, ten years later, the population had grown to 1881 to 8498. 1961 were counted in Irvine eventually 16,911 people. 1966 Irvine was chosen to plan the city. She is thus the youngest of the five Scottish cities and the only plan that builds on an existing city. By 1981, the population of the city doubled to 33,000 since then and remains at this value.
In Irvine four major roads converge. The coming of Edinburgh A71 ends there. Previously, she crosses the A78 ( Greenock Ayr ), which cuts through the settlement area. The A736 leads in a northeasterly direction to Glasgow, while the A737 Irvine combines with paisley. Since the 19th century, the town has its own railway station. This was initially served on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway Glasgow and South Western Railway. Today he is on the Ayrshire Coast Line First ScotRail. The Glasgow International Airport is approximately 30 km north-east.