Kangaatsiaq / Kitaa
Kangaatsiaq ( German as " little promontory ' ) is a place in West Greenland, around 80 kilometers south of Disko Bay. It has 572 inhabitants ( 2012).
The settlement is situated on a promontory that gave the settlement its name, surrounded by the open sea. Kangaatsiaq is inhabited year-round since 1846. In the 1960s, the various dwelling places of the municipality should be resolved in the course of population concentration. The plan was, however, abandoned after protests, including the Greenland writer Ole Brandt ( 1918-1981 ). Kangaatsiaq received city status in 1986. Although it has a coat of arms, but does not use their own flag.
The city owns a power plant and an infirmary and a police post. In the summer there are helicopters compounds. The present church was built in 1921. However Tourist amenities are scarce. The area is famous for its impressive landscape with islands and fjords. It is worth taking a walk to the Nordenskjold Glacier ( Greenlandic " Akuliaruseersuup Sermesua " ), named after the Swedish polar explorer Adolf Erik Nordenskiöld, who started in 1883 by here for a research trip to the ice cap. The area is rich in abandoned homesteads.
Until January 1, 2009 Kangaatsiaq was an independent municipality with 1463 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2007) with an area of 43,500 km ², in addition to the main town of the villages Attu (264 inhabitants), Niaqornaarsuk ( 337 ) Ikerasaarsuk (105 ) and Iginniarfik (88 ) included. Today it belongs politically to Qaasuitsup Press Office.
Coat of arms
Description: In a blue back seeing silver ptarmigan on the left in an open Obereck floats to the right silver crescent.