Montejo de Tiermes
Montejo de Tiermes is a municipality ( municipio ) with 190 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) in the Spanish province of Soria in the autonomous community of Castile -Leon.
Montejo de Tiermes lies at an altitude of about 1160 meters above sea level. d M. The nearest large city, El Burgo de Osma, is about 38 km ( driving distance ) in a northeasterly direction away. The provincial capital Soria there are about 100 kilometers ( route ) is also in a northeasterly direction; on the way there is the listed place Calatañazor. Also worth seeing are the listed building towns of San Esteban de Gormaz (about 27 kilometers north ), Ucero (about 55 kilometers to the north ) and Berlanga de Duero (about 40 kilometers to the east ). A ten mile hike to the east leads to the neighboring mountain village Caracena.
In the second half of the 19th and in the first half of the 20th century Montejo de Tiermes always had between 900 and 1000 inhabitants. Due to the mechanization of agriculture and the resulting lower demand for labor is the number of residents - despite incorporations of formerly independent villages Liceras, Ligos, Torresuso, Cuevas de Ayllón, Noviales, Carrascosa de Arriba, Hoz de Abajo, Hoz de Arriba, Pedro, Rebollosa de Pedro and Valderroman - since the mid-20th century sharply.
The small mountain village was and is influenced to a large extent on agriculture ( field crops and livestock ). In earlier times, the place served as a craft and market center for the - now mostly abandoned - smaller farmsteads and hamlets around. Since the mid-20th century, tourism (hiking and apartments ) plays an important role as a source of income for the community.
Make findings suggest that a settlement by the name of Termes or Termantia of the Celtiberian tribe of Arevaci lay nearby. The Romans were in the area, leaving a source mount in place and a legionary inscription in Noviales. The hermitage of the Virgen del Val in the district Pedro is associated with the Visigoths. A native of the Islamic era watchtower ( atalaya ) at the entrance recalls the time of Islamic rule over much of the Iberian peninsula in the northern part with a defeat of the general Almanzor in the summer of 1002 in the - historically not occupied - Battle of Calatañazor finally came to an end. On the membership of the place too late medieval and early modern manors nothing is known.
- At the entrance of Montejo de Tiermes erected on a natural rock and well-preserved watchtower ( atalaya ) is from the Islamic period. Its entrance is - as usual - in approximately 2.50 meters high and could only be reached by a ladder.
- Two of the six original arcade arches of the Romanesque south porch ( portico ) of San Cornelio y San Cipriano Church are bricked. The only remaining capital rests - as usual - on a double pair of columns and shows two intertwined snakes. Inside the nave church there is a baroque altarpiece.
- Most important is the slightly outside the town of Hermit Church ( Ermita de Santa María ), whose arcades in the south porch ( portico ) by wall portions separated from each other are - a constellation which could refer to an early construction, next would not be standing double columns with sophisticated capitals. This show mainly vegetable and abstract motifs; but also figurative subjects ( Fall and Daniel in the lions' den ) can be seen. In contrast, the Romanesque portal is rather simple; in the Archivolte There is a series of small rosettes. On the north side aisle has been grown. The whole church is built of hewn stone and almost exactly as a construction period of the late 12th century is assumed.
- The archaeological site of Arevaci City Termes is only about a kilometer away. There is also a small museum located (see web link).
- May still be going back to a Visigoth predecessor - - small church ( Ermita de la Virgen del Val ) obtained in the district Pedro has become an easy. In later times it was a resting on wooden supports south porch ( portico ). Several embedded in the outer wall ornamented stones are reused ( spolia ).
- The small Romanesque church of Santa María Magdalena is visually enhanced by a south porch ( portico ) of the Renaissance period.
- The single-nave church of San Juan Bautista has a two-story bell tower ( espadaña ) from the Renaissance above the otherwise unadorned western facade and an unusually richly decorated Romanesque Archivolts portal on the south side.
- The place has a small late-Gothic village church with a bell tower and located behind half-timbered belfry and a later period and enlarged elevated apse.
Church of San Juan Bautista in Ligos - West facade with bell tower
Church of San Juan Bautista in Ligos - south portal
Valderroman - Church