Villasayas is a North Spanish city and a municipality ( municipio ) with 75 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2013 ) in the south of the province of Soria in the autonomous community of Castile -Leon.
The place Villasayas lies at the headwaters of the Río Escalote at an altitude of about 1030 meters above sea level. inst in the mountains in the south of the province of Soria. The provincial capital Soria is located about 55 kilometers to the north; the historically and culturally significant town Medinaceli is located approximately 35 km to the southeast.
In 1842, the city had just over 600 inhabitants; the increasing mechanization of agriculture has contributed since to a large extent to a continuing decline in population.
The inhabitants of Villasayas were and are dependent on agriculture, with both arable and livestock and dairy industry are operated in a high degree. Also the cultural and hiking tourism play a not unimportant role in the economic life of the community since the 1970s.
After his re-colonization ( repoblación ) in the 11th and 12th centuries, the village experienced quite some bloom that lasted until the 19th century. In the 1960s, about 30 residents, neighboring municipality Fuentegelmes was incorporated.
The only attraction of the village is the Romanesque church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, which is recognized as a cultural ( Bien de Interès Cultural ). It is one of the easternmost churches in Spain, with a south porch ( portico or galería Porticada ). This consists of two each opened by four arcades side wings and a central portal through which a proclamation group consisting of the Archangel Michael, Mary and Joseph, as an old man - is shown attached - asleep and leaning on a cane. The resting on twin columns capitals of the porch show different bird-like creatures and foliage. The mean Archivolte the protected from the weather by the porch portal also shows bird and dragon-like creatures who must be regarded as unheilabwehrend ( apotropaic ) in connection with its mounting location. The apse of the church was rebuilt in the 16th century in the late Gothic style and the Renaissance; the nave was given in the 18th century baroque redesign - it has several of that time derived carved altarpiece, two of which, Solomonic columns ' in churrigueresken style.