Ottergem is a borough of Erpe -Mere at the Molenbeek in Denderstreek in the Flanders region. It lies in the southeast of the province of East Flanders and belongs to Arrondissement Aalst. The borough is bordered by the boroughs Erondegem Erpe, Mere, Bambrugge ( and Weiler be Egem ) and Vlekkem and the municipalities of Sint -Lievens -Houtem ( borough Vlierzele ). Ottergem has 500 inhabitants (1 January 2003 ) and an area of 1.55 km ². The population density is 322 inh. / Km ².


Around the beginning of the 19th century Ottergem was one of the smallest villages in the arrondissement of Dendermonde. With 155 acres and 520 souls, it was much smaller than the surrounding villages. The village was first mentioned in an official document in 1036. The Charter of the emperor Koenraad II that recognized the St. Pietersabdij Abbey in Ghent and its possessions and spoke of " et in terram et Bursinghem in Ottringhem et terram in Shallow ". Since the year 1142 there was talk of Ottergem, but the variations Ottrenghem, Ottregem and Oterghem were also known. The name is derived according to the opinion of the historian de Smet from the Otter, his colleague Föstermann is of the opinion that the name is derived from a personal name. Towards the end of the 19th century there was a water mill and an oil mill.


  • The Water De Meulen is an overshot water mill in the Ruststraat 10-12. Originally it was a grain and oil mill. Later she was alone a grain mill. The building is protected by law ( Rijksmonument ):
  • In Ottergem the Sint -Paulus - Bekeringkirche stands. Ottergem belongs to the deanery of Lede.


Rear View of Water De Meulen in Ottergem

Waterwheel De Water Meulen in Ottergem

Interior De Water Meulen in Ottergem

The Church of Ottergem, Front View

The Church of Ottergem, side view


By Ottergem the Molenbeekroute runs. The Molenbeekroute is a hub system, primarily known are the mills of the community Erpe -Mere and two streams, both of which bear the name Molenbeek ( mill creek ).

End of a closed town in Ottergem