Robert Gordon University
Template: Infobox college / staff missing template: Infobox university / professors missing
The Robert Gordon University ( RGU abbreviated ) is a modern university in Aberdeen, Scotland, since her the status of a university was awarded in 1992. Currently, about 12,790 students studying in over 145 undergraduate and postgraduate full-and part -time courses.
The origins of the university date back to the year 1750, when the Robert Gordon 's Hospital was built to allow the formation of the resident sons and grandsons of aberdonischen bourgeoisie.
2009, the University of the University Guide to the British newspaper The Times as the best modern university in the United Kingdom ( "The Best Modern University in the UK" ) was excellent. The same paper also led the University at No. 4 with respect to the employment of college graduates in enterprises, 95 % of the graduates of the academic year 2008/ 09 were able to find a job.
1720 Robert Gordon joined Aberdeen in retirement, after he had amassed a considerable fortune in Poland. At his death 11 years later, he ordered that his entire estate, a school for boys was to be built. In the summer of 1750, the Robert Gordon 's Hospital was completed. In 1881 it was converted into a full-day school, known from then on under the name of Robert Gordon 's College. Day and evening classes of primary and secondary education as well as courses in mechanics and other subjects for boys, girls and adults were also introduced. Many of these courses were organized in consultation with the Aberdeen Mechanics ' Institute, and included scientific, technical and commercial subjects for office workers, apprentices and others. In 1884 the entire educational work of the Aberdeen Mechanics ' Institute was transferred to the College.
Around the same time offered the local businessman John Gray on to build a science and art school, under the condition that the government would call Gray's School of Science and Art. 1903 professional courses at the School of the Scotch Education Department was institution (then a form of university in Scotland) granted the status of Central, the school was renamed the Robert Gordon's Technical College.
The name of Robert Gordon's Institute of Technology (abbreviated RGIT ), was adopted in 1965.
In 1991, the name was changed again, this time in The Robert Gordon Institute of Technology. At this time the school was one of the largest Central Institutions in Scotland. 1992 the RGIT was granted the status of a university, whereby they became The Robert Gordon University. The first Chancellor, Sir Robert Reid, entered his office.
In Aberdeen there is yet another University, University of Aberdeen. A merger of the two institutions was considered in 2002, but it was decided to preserve the independence.
Studying at the University approximately 12,790 students in over 145 full and part- time courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Based on the employment of graduates in companies RGU is the best university in Scotland and at # 4 in the UK. 2002 were employed either in employment or in further education 98.1 % of the graduates.
In addition to full-and part -time courses, the University offers a comprehensive range of distance learning via the Internet. More than 8000 students from 113 countries study online a variety of courses.
The guide member of the Robert Gordon University, the Board of Governors ( school board ), consisting of 23 board members who are responsible for the administration and management of the University, these tasks are mostly taken over by the rector or vice-chancellor in practice. The Board of Governors also delivers competent for the planning, coordination, development and monitoring of the academic work of the University to the Academic Council ( Academic Council). Both the Board of Governors and the Academic Council are supported by a variety of bodies.
- Sir Bob Reid (1992-2005)
- Sir Ian Wood CBE (2004 -)
The Rector is subordinate to the CEO and management board of the university and only the Chancellor.
Rectors ( vice-chancellor )
- Dr David A. Kennedy (1992-1997)
- Professor William Stevely CBE (1997-2005)
- Professor R. Michael Pittilo (2005-2010)
- Professor John Harper (2010-2011)
- Professor Ferdinand von Prondzynski ( since 21 March 2011)
The university consists of three faculties:
- Aberdeen Business School Accounting, Economics and Finance
- Communication, marketing and media
- Information Management
- Faculty of Design and Technology ( Faculty of Design and Technology) Gray's School of Art (Fine Art)
- Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and The Built Environment ( Architecture )
- School of Computing ( computer science )
- School of Engineering (Engineering Science )
- Faculty of Health and Social Care ( Department of Health and Social Work ) School of Applied Social Studies ( Applied Social Studies )
- School of Health Sciences ( Medicine )
- School of Nursing and Midwifery ( health and nursing and maternity care)
- School of Pharmacy and Life Sciences ( pharmacy and biology )
The Garthdee campus in the suburbs (57 ° 7 ' 7 " N, 2 ° 8' 27" W57.1185 - 2.1409 ) has been in recent years with the use of 60 million pounds to two new buildings for the Aberdeen Business School and the Faculty of Health and Social Care expands. The building of the Business School was designed by the renowned architect Norman Foster, the other buildings from the architectural firm aberdonischen Hallyday Fraser Munro. On the Garthdee campus is also home to an ultra-modern sports center, which was opened in February 2005.
The School Hill campus in the city center consists of two of the famous granite building in the city, the St Andrew Street Building (57 ° 9 ' 0 " N, 2 ° 6' 15" W57.1499 - 2.1041 ) and the Administration Building at the School Hill ( 57 ° 8 ' 53 " N, 2 ° 6' 5" W57.1481 - 2.1015 ), and is therefore more traditional location. It is planned to relocate within the next ten years, all parts of the School Hill Garthdee campus again.
Students of the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture and The Build Environment operate on the Garthdee Campus a highly successful lecture series, which is known under the name 5710. Renowned architects from the UK and around the world are invited to give lectures on Thursday evenings.