Schwaigern is a town in the district of Heilbronn. It belongs to the marginal zone of the metropolitan region of Stuttgart.

  • 2.1 religions
  • 3.1 municipal
  • 3.2 City mayor and mayor in Schwaigern
  • 3.3 Coat of Arms and Flag
  • 3.4 partner communities
  • 4.1 Structures
  • 4.2 Museum
  • 4.3 Sport and Leisure
  • 4.4 Regular events
  • 5.1 traffic
  • 5.2 Media
  • 5.3 Supply and Disposal
  • 5.4 Education
  • 5.5 Viticulture
  • 5.6 Friedwald
  • 6.1 freeman
  • 6.2 Sons and daughters of the town
  • 6.3 Other personalities who are associated with the city


Geographical location

Schwaigern lies in the west of the district of Heilbronn in the foothills of Heuchelberg in the Valley of flax, a left tributary of the Neckar.

Neighboring communities

Neighboring cities and municipalities Schwaigerns are ( clockwise from the East) Leingarten, Nordheim, brackish Home, Epping, Gemmingen, Massenbachhausen (all district of Heilbronn ), and the independent city of Heilbronn. With Massenbachhausen Schwaigern has entered into an Agreed administrative matters.


Schwaigern consists of the core city Schwaigern as well as the districts Massenbach, Niederhofen and Stetten am Heuchelberg. To Schwaigern even include yet the courts laughter yards, Marienhof and Roman courtyards, the living spaces Upper Mill and Lower Mill ( joy mill) as well as the districts of birch yards, Lerchenberg farms and forest track courts to Niederhofen the residential places Fuchsberg and Ottilie yards to Stetten the residential places Station and Upper Mill and the districts spelled blades yards, Forchenwald yards, Horn Busch courtyards and sun mountain farms. Outbound, now-defunct sites are on mountian Massenbach Wilhelmstal on mountian Niederhofen Rindshof, on mountian Schwaigern Dissingen and high Stetten (both gone up in Schwaigern ) and forest brother house.


Archaeological finds from the Neolithic Age and the Roman period indicate an early settlement of the Schwaigerner area. Schwaigern was first mentioned in 766 in a document of the Lorsch codex. The place was one of the original Gartachgau. In the early 12th century, the noble free men of Schwaigern be mentioned as local lords, who were replaced in the 13th century from the well resulting from it Lords of Neipperg, the alliance and wedding policy with the Kraichgauer knighthood, with Wurttemberg, the Palatinate and a skillful Baden and ascended from the 18th century, especially with the House of Habsburg to great importance and in Schwaigern always had one of their administrative centers. 1486 was the place market law. After 1630, the city was several times ravaged by the plague, which claimed the lives of many residents. 1690 the then Schwaigerner castle was burnt down during the Palatinate War of Succession. Built about 1702 Castle in Schwaigern became the headquarters of the Lords of Neipperg collected in 1726 in the imperial counts. In 1806 Schwaigern by the mediatization of Württemberg. In the 19th and 20th century, several large fires destroyed large parts of the medieval city center. 1971 are incorporated on 1 July and 1 September Massenbach Stetten am Heuchelberg and Niederhofen. see also Harchenburg


Schwaigern is predominantly Protestant since the Reformation. The most important church building in the village is the Protestant Church of St. John. In Schwaigern, Stetten and Niederhofen There are separate Protestant church communities, for Massenbach and Massenbachhausen there is a common evangelical community. The Evangelical churches all belong to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Württemberg in the church district Brackenridge home. The ( Evangelical Pietist ) Liebenzeller Community maintains in all three Protestant churches of the city your own groups. In Massenbach exists since 1882 a Baptist church church ( Baptist ). The Catholic Church of St. Martinus Schwaigern is responsible not only for Schwaigern Stetten, Niederhofen and Neipperg (Part brackish home ), the Catholic Church of St. Kilian Massenbachhausen next Massenbachhausen for Massenbach. The New Apostolic Church is represented by a congregation in Schwaigern.

The EC- Youth League has chapters in Schwaigern, Stetten and Niederhofen that Liebenzeller Community in Schwaigern and Niederhofen, the church youth Württemberg in Schwaigern and Stetten. In Massenbach the Christian Association Young People 's represented ( YMCA ) Massenbach / Massenbachhausen.


Parish council

The council has Schwaigerns since the local elections of 7 June 2009 27 seats ( previously 23). These are distributed as follows:

Another member of the council and its chairman is the mayor.

City mayor and mayor in Schwaigern

  • Benzlen Friedrich (1826-1868)
  • August Liomin (1868-1893)
  • Karl Essich (1893-1918)
  • Max Neunhoeffer (1919-1933)
  • Karl Spingler (1933-1939)
  • Fritz Siegele (1941-1945)
  • Friedrich Vogt (1945-1954)
  • Horst Haug (1963-1999)


Coat of arms and flag

The blazon of the coat of arms Schwaigerner is: In red three ( 2:1) silver rings. Plate holder: above the shield growing St. John the Baptist with a golden aura and natural fur, the rights facing upward, the natural Lamb of God and left oblique golden cross rod with silver dreilatziger flag with the left holding. The city colors are red and white.

The three silver rings on a red background are the coat of arms of the Counts of Neipperg for 1684 and occupied as Schwaigerner spot sign. John the Baptist as patron of the plate holder is Schwaigerner church. The coat of arms is detectable in this form in seal impressions from 1591 that were probably produced by a 1512 -made seal. A sheriff 's official stamp from the period around 1820 shows only the coat of arms with the three rings without plate holder, which was held in 1959 as the actual coat of arms, the Schwaigerner tradition is accordingly but usually depicted with John the Baptist as a plate holder. The colors of the city flag was set in 1925.

Partner communities

Partner communities Schwaigerns since 1988, the Austrian community Pöndorf in Upper Austria ( with a district called Schwaigern ), since 2004, the commune of La Teste- de-Buch in the department of Gironde and since 2009 the Swiss municipality in the canton of Lucerne Nottwil.

Culture and sights


  • The Schwaigern palace began in 1702 instead of 1690 destroyed the former castle for Field Marshal Friedrich Eberhard von Neipperg and supplemented by Georg Gottlob Barth and Christian Friedrich von Leins to wings and a chapel to its present form in the 19th century. At the four-winged castle adjacent to a farmyard and a castle park.
  • The Protestant Church of St. John goes back to a building from the 13th century and was greatly expanded in the 16th century. Inside, the 1510 resulting Barbara Altar of Jerg Ratgeb and high altar and carved altars are located. On the inner walls of historic grave stones and epitaphs of the Counts of Neipperg are placed. The organ was built by Richard Rensch 1984.


Ev. St. John's Church Schwaigern

Jerg Ratgeb Barbara - altar in the Ev. St. John's Church Schwaigern

  • The city hall was built after the great fire of 1905 by Theodor Moosbrugger and has, in particular on the southeast bay and the entrance area Menete styles of Art Nouveau on. The nearby historical accounts office was renovated after the fire and joined in the late 20th century by a central block with another adjacent half-timbered house.
  • The so-called witch's tower on the southeastern edge of the medieval town is a fortified tower dating back to 1461, which later served as a prison. His name, the tower received by the imprisoned here in 1713, accused of being a witch and later burned at the stake Anna Maria Heinrich. The tower was once a municipal gift for silver wedding an earl to the family of Neipperg and came from this 1986 back to the city Schwaigern, after which the tower was completely renovated. It forms with the attached Reinwald 's house from the 17th century, is a charming blend. Another remnant of the ancient city wall is near the guard-house in the parish road, which uses parts of the city walls as foundations, including a built-up with a polygonal truss attachment round tower. Also located in the Pfarrstraße the helper house in 1769. Baroque building was used as a second parsonage of the city. More remains of medieval fortifications have been preserved mainly in the west of the town center.
  • The former city of wine is half-timbered of 1659, which was initially built as wine of the Counts of Neipperg and 1852 came into the possession of the city. By 1949 there wine was made until the 1970s, still fruit juice. Later the building was converted into a supermarket. Since 2010, the building houses the library and Schwaigerner the Karl Wagenplast Museum.
  • The Stork's Nest is the oldest surviving residential building in the city and was once part of a stately three-sided farmhouse farm dating back to 15-16. Century. The building was renovated in 1982 and 1984 comprehensively. The upper floors still show the original Alemannic truss construction.

Historical Rentamt

Old Town Kelter, 1659

Building lot in downtown

  • The cemetery chapel is a neo-gothic religious building of 1870, in which 1982 to 2009, the Karl Wagenplast Museum was located.
  • The Catholic St. Martin's Church is a contemporary building from 1964, which has been extensively renovated in the 1990s. The church contains several historical art treasures ( Romanesque crucifix, late Gothic tabernacle ), the stained glass windows were designed by Josef de Ponte.
  • The Frizhalle with a striking shingle -clad wooden tower was erected in 1887 as Turn-, meeting and function hall with school and kindergarten rooms and after the founder Ernst Friz († 1869) who had bequeathed to the city of 100,000 guilders.

St. Martin

Tabernacle in St. Martin

Animal Park in Leintal


The local museum Karl- Wagenplast Museum in the new library at Kelterplatz shows mainly archaeological exhibits from the Neolithic Age to the Middle Ages from the Leintal that come from the excavations of its namesake and Schwaigerner Freeman Karl Wagenplast.

Sport and Leisure

The TSV Schwaigern dates back to 1898 and was then established as a gymnastics club. In addition to the traditional gymnastics department, which houses an L- level for girls and boys, including even badminton, karate, chess and the very rare sport aero wheel is operated. Especially when Rhönrad the club has so many major sports people. 1992, the tennis department (TC Schwaigern ) and 1993, the football department ( FSV Schwaigern ) have made their own.

Schwaigern also has a heated outdoor swimming pool.

With the Leintalzoo Schwaigern Schwaigern has a zoo, where the largest contiguous group of chimpanzees in Germany can be seen.

Regular events

Every year the Heuchelberg winery on its premises in Schwaigern the multi-day wine festival.

Economy and infrastructure

Largest based in Schwaigern company is the Walter Söhner GmbH & Co. KG, which manufactures plastic parts and employs over 500 staff in Schwaigern. In Schwaigern and its districts furthermore a variety of medium-sized companies are located. Especially in Massenbach and Stetten, however, the primary care or the retail sector is rapidly declining. Until the opening of a supermarket in Massenbach existed in this district for the year 2000 for several years no more shops.

The VBU Volksbank in the lowlands, which was created from the merger of several regional cooperative banks, is headquartered in Schwaigern.


Schwaigern lies with three breakpoints in Schwaigern itself as well as the breakpoint Stetten on the railway line Kraichgaubahn from Heilbronn to Karlsruhe, which is traversed by the light rail Stadtbahn Karlsruhe and Heilbronn. The B 293 from Heilbronn to Karlsruhe also performs Schwaigern. A once- planned connection to the Federal Highway 45 was abandoned in 1979.


About the events in Schwaigern reported as the only daily newspaper in its issue Heilbronner Stimme LT, Leintal. For this purpose, we learn a lot in the local newsletter of the City Schwaigern. Also, the regional advertising paper Leintal hits includes news, especially of culture and sport.

Supply and disposal

The district of Heilbronn operating one of its two landfills, which was responsible for the western half of the county in Schwaigerner Stetten district. For the eastern district of the landfill in Eberstadt was responsible. Since June 1, 2005 is deposited no more household waste under the amended legislation. This can still be delivered in small quantities, but like all the other garbage the church in Heilbronn worked biomechanically and sorted. A recycling center is only operated on the premises of the landfill.

South of the landfill is the soil depot Heuchelberg, the largest of earth landfill sites currently nine of the district. It was established in the mid 1980s on the site of an abandoned missile base of the U.S. armed forces. The landfill covers an area of ​​18.5 ha and took far around 900,000 cubic meters of earth to. The overburden now forms the highest summit of Heuchelberg with a height of 353 m above sea level. NN. Since 1999, the reforestation of the filled areas running.


My primary schools there are in Schwaigern ( Sonnenberg school), Massenbach and Stetten, in Schwaigern also Leintal the main school ( with Werkrealschule ), the Leintal -Realschule and the Sonnenberg- needs school.


Viticulture in Schwaigern is first mentioned in the year 799. The main grape varieties grown are Trollinger, Riesling, Lemberger and Pinot Meunier. In Schwaigern the Heuchelberg winery has its headquarters, the fourth largest winery in Baden-Württemberg. In addition to several other self- marketers especially the Weingut Graf von Neipperg is known. The Württemberg wine queen 2007/2008, Mirjam Kleinknecht, comes from Schwaigern.

The district Stetten offers three wineries and a Weinküferei a varied wine list. A Rebveredlung sets to the foundation for the varietal plants. With Claudia Rüber presented Stetten 1992 the Württemberg wine queen.

The positions of all parts of the city belong to the major site Heuchelberg Württemberg wine region.


Since 27 July 2005, is located in Schwaigern a Friedwald, the first in Baden- Württemberg. After two years, over 400 people were there already buried, and over 1000 contracts had been completed.



  • Karl Wagenplast, local historian
  • Horst Haug, Mayor of Schwaigern 1962-1999

Sons and daughters of the town

  • Günther Heinrich von Berg ( born November 27, 1765 in Schwaigern, † September 9, 1843 in Oldenburg), lawyer and politician, Oldenburgischer State and Cabinet Ministers
  • Erwin von Neipperg, ( born April 6, 1813 in Schwaigern, † March 2, 1897 ibid ), Austrian general, a deputy in the Chamber of lords
  • Alfred von Neipperg ( born January 26, 1807 in Schwaigern, † November 16, 1865 in Winnenthal ) Austrian captain, Württemberg Major General, a deputy in the Chamber of lords
  • Michaela von Neipperg ( born September 9, 1885 in Schwaigern, † April 7, 1957 in Konstanz ), German countess and Benedictine
  • Bruno starch ( born May 17, 1894 in Schwaigern, † April 17, 1979 in Stuttgart), painter, pupil of Adolf Hoelzel

Other personalities who are associated with the city

  • Philipp Heinrich Haab (1758-1833), long-time pastor
  • Josef de Ponte (1922-2006), Hungarian - German church painter, lived from 1965 in Schwaigern
  • Rainer Dahlem (* 1946), trade unionists and local politician (SPD ), lives in Schwaigern