Shizuoka (Japanese静冈 市, -shi) is a city and the administrative center of the prefecture Shizuoka on the southeast coast of Honshu, the main island of Japan. The region is highly vulnerable to earthquakes.
The University of Shizuoka was founded in 1949. Shizuoka is the center of the Japanese tea trade, around tea and oranges are grown. Economically important are also the lacquer, bamboo and wicker manufacturing, and mechanical engineering.
Already 200 to 300 AD, settled here, and later went here a trade route. The town was originally Sumpu (骏 府), a short form of Suruga Fuchū (骏 河 府中, dt " capital of Suruga "). Tokugawa Ieyasu, one of the 3 Reich unifier and founder of the Tokugawa shogunate had here his retirement home.
Since Fuchū also betrayal (不忠) may mean, it was decided in 1869 to rename the town. The new name should (贱 机 山/賎 机 山) Shizugaoka (賎ヶ丘) loud after the nearby in the vicinity of the castle Sumpu mountain or hill ( oka ) Shizuhata. However, since the kanji賎" poor; greedy " means it has been through the homophone静meaning" quiet, peaceful replaced "; Moreover, the particle ga archaic was omitted.
On 1 April 2003, Shizuoka and Shimizu merged to the new Shizuoka. On 1 April 2005 Shizuoka became a " certain government decree city " by ( Seirei shitei toshi ) appointed and the urban districts ( ku ) Aoi -ku (葵 区), Suruga -ku (骏 河 区) and Shimizu- ku (清水 区) furnished.
Mayor of Shizuoka has the uniform regional elections of 2011, the former prefecture MPs Nobuhiro Tanabe, with the support of the Liberal Democratic Party ( LDP ) and the Trade Union Confederation Rengo to succeed Zenkichi Kojima was chosen.
The 53 -member city council ( Shizuoka shigikai ) is dominated by the LDP faction with 26 seats. He was last re- elected in March 2009.
- Castle Sumpu (骏 府城, Sumpu - jo )
- Archaeological site Toro ( Toro Iseki ); Settlement remains and rice fields from the Yayoi period (300 BC -300 AD)
- Train: JR Tōkaidō Shinkansen stops in Shizuoka Station.
- JR Tōkaidō Main Line, to Tokyo or Kobe
- Shizuoka tetsudō ( Shizutetsu ) Shizuoka - Shimizu Line
- Oigawa tetsudō ( Daitetsu ) Ikawa Line ( train)
- Tomei Expressway and Shin- Tomei highway, towards Tokyo or Nagoya (toll road )
- National Highway 1, towards Tokyo or Kyoto
- Prefecture Shizuoka University
- University of Shizuoka
Adjacent Cities and Towns
- Shizuoka Prefecture Fuji
- Minami -Alps
Sons and daughters of the town
- Kazuyoshi Hoshino ( racing driver )
- Yōko Kamikawa ( politician )
- Kazuo Katase ( Artist )
- Yahiro Kazama ( football player)
- Naoya Kikuchi ( football player)
- Toshi Kubota ( singer-songwriter )
- Kazuyoshi Miura ( football player)
- Hisashi Mizutori ( gymnast )
- Riyo Mori ( Miss Universe 2007)
- Shinji Ono ( football player)
- Momoko Sakura ( manga artist )
- Keita Suzuki ( footballer )
- Toranosuke Takagi ( racing driver )
- Natsuki Takaya ( manga artist )
- Yoshito Usui ( manga artist )
Shizuoka is the home of the football club Shimizu S-Pulse from the J. League, whose games are played in Nihondaira Sports Stadium.