Tarragona is the capital of the eponymous province in the southern part of the Spanish autonomous region of Catalonia.
The Roman history of Tarragona Main article: Tarraco
218 BC, the Romans conquered the Iberian town and made it under the name of the capital of the province of Hispania Tarraco Citerior, later Tarraconensis. 27 BC, they built a temple in honor of Augustus and Jupiter.
In Tarragona there are many Roman monuments: the amphitheater, the circus, the Roman Forum, the grave monument Torre dels Escipions, the Arc de Triomphe Arc de Berà, the Mausoleum of Centcelles and the aqueduct Aqüeducte de les Ferreres (also Pont del Diable called ). In 2000, the Archaeological Ensemble of Tarraco was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In current construction remains of old Roman buildings are still being discovered again. Then the works are often interrupted to the chagrin of the owners at the request of the archaeologists.
The Passeig Arqueològic drags along the city wall, which dates back to Roman historians Livy and, according to Pliny the Scipios in the 3rd century BC, older other views after because of the cyclopean stone blocks of several tons, which were joined together without joints expected. In the Archaeological Museum Roman exhibits will be shown, which also featured mosaics, especially a Medusa head belongs. Next to the museum is the Roman Praetorium from the 1st century BC, which here had a square shape and was subject to sharp changes in the Middle Ages. The amphitheater is located directly on the coast and was the scene of the martyrdom of the bishop and the deacons Fructuosus Augurius and Eulogius during the Valerian persecution of Christians. In late antiquity, Tarragona was important bishopric.
Raimund Berengar I had extended its sphere already up to the gates of the city. 1118 conquered Ramon Berenguer III. the city and they built as the headquarters of the church in Catalonia again ( before the Catalans were ecclesiastically dependent on the archbishopric of Narbonne ).
During the Napoleonic wars on the Iberian Peninsula Tarragona was besieged on May 3 to June 28 1811 and finally stormed ( siege of Tarragona).
Tarragona has neither an official nor an official coat of arms flag. However, there are variants that are tolerated by the city administration, and proposals of the Catalan Society for Genealogy and Heraldry.
Proposal of the Catalan Society for Genealogy and Heraldry for an official coat of arms of the city of Tarragona
Tarragona has a port which is part of the envelope amount forth to the main ports of the Mediterranean. The operating company of the port therefore has a strong political influence in the city parliament.
In the southwest of the city, various industrial plants petrochemical lined. BASF, Dow Chemical, Repsol YPF and other corporations there have their refineries, and other branches. Bayer claims to have a " state of the art factory" for the production of diphenylmethane diisocyanates.
Around Tarragona found, inter alia hazel groves and vineyards (see also Viticulture in Spain). High excellent wine delivers the northwest Tarragona located Priorat.
The University Universitat Rovira i Virgili is after their separation from the University of Barcelona in 1991, an independent university with faculties in Tarragona, Reus and Vila -seca.
A certain rivalry between the inhabitants of the city of Tarragona and the neighboring city of Reus and El Vendrell.
The main street " La Rambla Nova " leads directly towards the sea, but ends above a 30 meter high natural cliff wall. An ornately decorated railing keeps the stroller from accidentally crash. The laying on of hands on one of the metal railing posts to bring good luck. The Tarragonesen say in Catalan: Tocar ferro porta sort! ( " Touch iron brings happiness ").
In the north- east of the city, there are next to the Platja Rabassada, the Platja Savinosa and the large Platja Llarga more beach coves in the conservation area Tamarit -Punta de la Mòra such as Cala Fonda and Platja Roca Plana, which are only accessible on foot and naturists popular are. The protected landscape area currently comprises around 100 hectares of land and 300 ha of sea area. Haunted because accessible by road is the Platja La Mòra at the same urbanization.
At a carnival parade takes place. The dancers on the car and on the road are covered, as in Rio de Janeiro. Viewers are not disguised, but probably enjoy the display of the most scantily clad young dancers.
During Holy Week ( Semana Santa ) there are religious processions through the streets of the city. Patron saint of the city is Fructuosus ( 21 January).
In the first week of July each year, held in Tarragona, an International Fireworks Competition, the Friday at 22.30 clock attracts every evening from Monday tens of thousands of spectators.
In addition, every year in late September in the city of Tarragona Feast of Saint Tecla ( Festival de Santa Tecla de Tarragona in Catalan ) instead. At the center of this are cultural events, especially the Catalan culture, such as Castells, concerts, fireworks or costume parades.
Tarragona is home to the Catholic saints Mercedariers Peter Armengol. Here the king Hermenegild martyred.
See also: Archdiocese of Tarragona
Sons and daughters of the town
- Josep Maria Jujol (1879-1949), architect
- Xavier O'Callaghan (born 1972 ), Handball players and Handball official
- Ferran i Marín Ramos ( born 1974 ), editor and author
- Joan Olivé (* 1984), motorcycle racer
- Francisco Casilla Cortes ( born 1986 ), football goalkeeper
- France Avignon ( France) since 1968
- Italy Alghero ( Italy) since 1972
- France Orléans ( France) since 1978
- United Kingdom Stafford (Great Britain) since 1992
- Austria Klagenfurt ( Austria ) since 1996
- Italy Pompei (Italy ) since 2006
Next to an old church from the year 392 began with the construction of the cathedral in 1171 due to a bequest of Archbishop Hugo of Cervello. However, the construction work went on until 1331. Therefore, the Cathedral is built in the style of transition from Romanesque to Gothic. The floor plan is a Greek cross. The church has three naves with a transept and has four ( originally five planned ) apses. In the transept rises the Romanesque base a dome with pure Gothic windows. The two side doors of the facade are Romanesque, the main portal, completed in 1475, is gothic with rich sculptural decoration and a mighty rose above the portal.
In the main apse is decorated with the beautiful sculptures tomb of Don Juan de Aragón, son of James II, who was bishop of Tarragona in his last five years of life. In the main altar stands on the Romanesque altar table a major altarpiece of the 15th century. It shows the enthroned God the Father in the midfield and scenes from the life of Saint Thecla.
Particularly worth seeing is the portal to the cloister of white marble of the 13th century. In the tympanum of the ruler of the world and the four Evangelist symbols is shown. There are biblical scenes in all capitals.
Pont del Diable
Remains of the Roman city wall
Remains of Roman chariot racing track
View from the Rambla Nova over the station and harbor