Wittenbergplatz (Berlin U-Bahn)
Metro Station Wittenberg Platz is a metro station in the Berlin district of Schöneberg district of Tempelhof- Schöneberg. It is operated by the lines U1, U2 and U3 of the BVG. For the main route, the first elevated railway capital of the German Empire, the railway station on the Wittenberg Platz on behalf of the Company for electrical high and subways in Berlin ( elevated railway company), designed by Paul Wittig was initially built with two tracks on two side platforms and on 11 opened in March 1902.
It was not until June 29, 1910, the elevated railway company received permission to leave it there branch off more lines, was an architect tender for the expansion of the station. The contract for the design finally got Alfred Grenander. He built three more platforms with five tracks; a sixth track on the north side was already scheduled. The extended station was completed on 12 October 1913. For this transformation included the new entrance building ( entrance hall), which was built to match the Wittenberg Platz and the nearby KaDeWe on Tauentzienstraße very representative.
During World War II, the station was damaged. After the reconstruction in the 1950s the hall was changed by modernization measures. Later, especially advertising space dominated the interior. In the years 1982 and 1983 there followed a complex historically appropriate restoration.
On the 50th anniversary of the Berlin U -Bahn in 1952 gave the British city commander of the BVG a subway sign in the style of the London Underground with the inscription Wittenberg Platz. This plate is attached today on the platform I.
Between September 2008 and May 2009, the ceiling of the subway tunnel has been completely refurbished to a length of about 800 meters planned for 11.4 million euros due to the penetrating water. These parts of the Wittenberg Square were cordoned off, closed the left lane of each Tauentzienstraße and the passage to the Bayreuther Straße and green flowers and plants removed for access to the ceiling is only possible from the top.
Entrance Building at night
East side entrance
Station sign in the style of the London Underground from 1952
The metro station is a station separation between lines U1, U2 and U3, and also offers interchanges to the bus lines of the Berlin Transport Authority.