History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Era / period
Events / developments
- On December 31, 406/1. January 407 exceed Germanic tribes at Mogontiacum the Rhine ( Rhine crossing of 406).
- 410 Rome is sacked by the Visigoths.
- To 410, most Roman troops withdraw from Britain.
- Constantius III. , The Western Empire had once again stabilized, dies 421
- Vandals under Genseric conquer Carthage 439 and 455 plunder Rome.
- To 440 rebel Anglo-Saxon mercenaries in Britain, who were allegedly came at the invitation of Vortigern.
- Attila the Hun conquered much of Europe and is threatening 452 to attack Rome. Pope Leo I, hits him. Attila takes place thereafter as a result of epidemics and Byzantine attacks back on its parent country.
- The Western Roman Heermeister Flavius Aetius, who had been for 20 years de facto regent of Western Rome, 454 by Emperor Valentinian III. hand slain.
- 468 a large-scale trial of the Western Emperor Anthemius to defeat with Eastern Roman help the Vandals fails.
- 476: End of the Western Roman Empire - Romulus Augustulus is deposed by Odoacer.
- The fleets of the Vandals dominate the western Mediterranean.
- 475: The Visigoths write in Codex Euricianus their people right down.
- 486: The Merovingian Clovis I defeated the rex Romanorum Syagrius and founded the Frankish Empire.
- Buddhism comes to Myanmar and Indonesia.
- African and Indonesian settlers come to Madagascar.
- Augustine of Hippo ( 354-430 ), Bishop and theologian ( City of God )
- Flavius Aetius, west Roman Heermeister († 454)
- Aspar Flavius , East Roman army champion († 471 )
- Attila, King of the Huns († 453)
- Peroz I., King of Persia († 484 )
- Romulus Augustulus, the last Western Roman Emperor
- Theodoric the Great, king of the Ostrogoths
- Patrick of Ireland completed the Christianization of Ireland
- Alaric I, king of the Visigoths
- Leo the Great
Inventions and Discoveries
- Invention of the stirrup in China
- Use of the heavy plow in the Slavic countries
- Widespread use of horseshoes in Gaul
- Introduction of Fuþorc alphabet ( runes ) in England