Alcoa Inc. ( Aluminum Company of America ) is a 1959 until September 2013 in the Dow Jones Industrial Average index of listed U.S. aluminum producer. The Group is a leader behind the current Russian RUSAL world leader in the aluminum market, closely followed by Alcan, a Canadian aluminum producer ( 24.9 billion U.S. dollars in sales ). Alcoa in 2007 generated a turnover of 30.748 billion U.S. dollars ( 30.4 billion U.S. dollars in 2006 ) and employed 119,000 people (2007 ) worldwide. During the economic crisis, sales dropped by 26.9 billion U.S. dollars ( 2008) to 18.4 billion U.S. dollars ( 2009). The sales rebounded slightly in 2010 to 21 billion U.S. dollars. Nevertheless, the number of employees from 119,000 (2007) was more than halved to 59,000 (2010).

Company History

1888, Charles Martin Hall, the Pittsburgh Reduction Company. The name of Aluminum Company of America, the company received in 1907. Abbreviation Alcoa was used from 1910 to 1999 accepted as the official name to be the progressing internationalization needs. At this time, Alcoa worked in 30 countries.

Positioning in the market

Alcoa is the world's second largest producer of aluminum. The company primarily serves the markets Aerospace ( aircraft industry ), automotive ( car industry), Packaging ( packaging), Building and Construction (construction), Commercial Transportation (transportation) and continue to B2B markets ( transactions between companies). The expertise ranges from design to construction through to production and thus offers the customers on the aluminum markets all relevant products and services from a single source. The company generated in 2005, with 129,000 employees in more than 350 locations in 42 countries with revenues of around 26.2 billion U.S. dollars.

Board of Directors

Since 8 May 2008, Klaus Kleinfeld Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Alcoa Inc.

Other members of the Board:

  • Carlos Ghosn
  • Joseph T. Gorman
  • Judith M. Gueron
  • James W. Owens
  • Henry B. Schacht
  • Franklin A. Thomas
  • Ernesto Zedillo

Participations and cooperations

Alcoa owns 60 percent of Alcoa World Alumina and Chemicals ( AWAC ) in Australia, the remaining 40 percent is held by the Australian company Alumina Limited. AWAC builds, among other bauxite from Australia.

Alcoa holds 8 percent of the shares of Aluminum Corporation of China. The two companies have signed a strategic cooperation agreement.

The Norwegian company Elkem belonged to April 2005 to 46.5 percent of Alcoa. In October 2002, a failed attempt by Alcoa, Elkem completely take over. As a result, the proportion of Orkla has been sold, the Elkem very gradually took over.

In July 2007, Alcoa also attracted a competing tender offer over 28 billion dollars ( 20 billion euros ) for the Canadian aluminum producer Alcan back.


Since many hundred tons of aluminum were used in their construction, was put into service at the September 9, 1961 USS Long Beach ( CGN- 9 ), a guided missile cruiser of the U.S. Navy, the International Marine Radio callsign ALCOA.

Alcoa is also the name of an American small town with a population of slightly more than 7,700 in the east of the State of Tennessee ( Blount County), where the company operates a large aluminum plant. In the past, the village was known as the North Marysville. In 1918, North Marysville was separated from Marysville and merged with the area around the aluminum plant to obtain in this way, inter alia, tax advantages.