Benue is a state of Nigeria with its capital at Makurdi, which is with 292 664 inhabitants (2005) and largest city.
The state is located in the southeast of the country, bordered to the north by the state of Nassarawa, on the southwest by the states of Ebonyi and Enugu, on the southeast by the state of Cross River and Cameroon, on the west by the state of Kogi and on the east by the state of Taraba.
The state was formed February 3, 1976 from part of the former state " Benue - Plateau ". First governor was between March 1976 and July 1978 Abdullahi Shelleng. Current governor is Akume since May 29, 1999 George.
List of Governors and Administrators
- Abdullahi Shelleng (Governor 1976-1978 )
- Bayo Lawal (Governor 1978-1979 )
- Aper Aku (Governor 1979-1983 )
- John Kpera (Governor 1984-1985)
- David Jang (Governor 1985-1986)
- Yohanna Madaki (Governor 1986)
- Ishaya Bakul (Governor 1986-1987)
- Idris Garba (Governor 1987)
- Fidelis Makka (Governor 1987-1992 )
- Moses Adesu (Governor 1992-1993)
- J. O. Obademi ( administrator 1993-1996)
- Dominic Oneya ( administrator 1996-1998)
- Joseph Adeusi ( administrator 1998-1999)
The state is divided into 23 Local Government Areas. These are: Agatu, Apa, Apo, Bukuru, Gboko, Guma, Gwer East, Gwer West, Katsina -Ala, Konshisha, Kwande, logo, Makurdi, Obi, Ogbadibo, Ohimini, Oju, Opkokwu, Oturpko, Tarka, Ukum, Ushongo and Vandeikya.
The main industry in Benue is agriculture. There are cultivated yams, rice, beans, cassava, potatoes, corn, soybeans, sorghum and millet. The state with a share of 70 percent of the largest producer of soybeans in Nigeria.
Benue is also rich in mineral resources. These include: limestone, gypsum, anhydrite, kaolin, natural gas, salt, oil, zinc oxide, barium sulfate, clay, coal, calcite and magnetite. From these raw materials only limestone and kaolin are used commercially.
Abia | Adamawa | Akwa Ibom | Anambra | Bauchi | Bayelsa | Benue | Borno | Cross River | Delta | Ebonyi | Edo | Ekiti | Enugu | Gombe | Imo | Jigawa | Kaduna | Kano | Katsina | Kebbi | Kogi | Kwara | Lagos | Nassarawa | Niger | Ogun | Ondo | Osun | Oyo | plateau | Rivers | Sokoto | Taraba | Yobe | Zamfara Federal Capital Territory
- State (Nigeria )
- Benue (State)