Kwara is a federal republic of Nigeria, with its capital Ilorin, which is with 814 246 inhabitants (2005) and largest city.
The state is located in the west of the country, bordered to the north by the Niger State, on the south by the state of Osun, on the southwest by the state of Oyo, on the southeast by the state of Ekiti, Benin to the west and to the east by Kogi State. Large parts of the protected area Kaduna Lower -Middle Niger floodplain situated in the State, it is a wetland of international importance of the Ramsar Convention.
The state was formed on 27 May 1967, the name " South Central". On February 3, 1976, he has been renamed in Kwara. First governor was between May 28 1967 and July 1975 David Bamigboye. Current governor since May 29, 2003 Bukola Saraki.
List of Governors and Administrators
- David Bamigboye (Governor 1968-1975 )
- Ibrahim Taiwo (Governor 1975-1976 )
- George Innih (Governor 1976-1978 )
- Sunday Orihya Ifere (Governor 1978-1979 )
- Adamu Atta (Governor 1979-1983 )
- Cornelius Adebayo (Governor 1983)
- Salaudeen Latinwo (Governor 1984-1985)
- Mohammed Umaru (Governor 1985-1987)
- Ahmed Abdullahi (Governor 1987-1988)
- Ibrahim Alkali (Governor 1988-1989)
- Awali Kazir (Governor 1989-1992 )
- Shaaba Lafiaji (Governor 1992-1993)
- Mustapha Ismail ( administrator 1993-1994)
- Baba Adamu Iyam ( administrator 1994-1996)
- Peter Ogar ( administrator 1996-1998)
- Rasheed Shekoni ( administrator 1998-1999)
- Mohammed Lawal (Governor 1999-2003)
The state is divided into 16 Local Government Areas. These are: Asa, Baruten, Edu, Ekiti, Ifelodun, Ilorin East, Ilorin South, Ilorin West, Irepodun, Isin, Kaiama, Moro, Offa, Oke - Oro, Oyun and Pategi.
Agriculture is the main industry and the main source of income in the state. There are cultivated cotton, cocoa, coffee, cola, tobacco and coconuts.
Significant for the economy of the state is also the mining industry. Will be reduced limestone, marble, feldspar, clay, kaolin, quartz, and granite. In addition, beer is brewed in Kwara as well as pharmaceutical products, textiles, paper, foam rubber, plastics, sugar and other manufactured.
Kwara is connected by a network of roads with five other states. The railway line from Lagos to the north of the country passes through the state. In Ilorin has an international airport.