Ondo is a state of Nigeria, with its capital Akure that is with 420 623 inhabitants (2005) and largest city.
The state is located in the southwest of the country, bordered to the north by the state of Ekiti, in the northwest of the state of Osun, on the northeast by the state of Kogi, to the south by the Atlantic Ocean, on the southeast by the Delta State, on the west by Ogun State and to the east by the State of Edo.
The state was formed February 3, 1976 from part of the former state of " Western ". First governor was between March 1976 and July 1978 Ita David Ikpeme. On 1 October 1996, the cut out four northern Local Government Areas of Ondo and summarized the new state of Ekiti. Current governor since April 14, 2007 Olusegun Mimiko.
List of Governors and Administrators
- Ita David Ikpeme (Governor 1976-1978 )
- Sunday Tuoyo (Governor 1978-1979 )
- Michael Ajasin (Governor 1979-1983 )
- Akin Omoboriowo (Governor 1983)
- Michael Bamidele Otiko (Governor 1984-1985)
- Michael O. Akhigbe (Governor 1985-1986)
- Ekundayo Opaleye (Governor 1986-1987)
- Raji Rasaki (Governor 1987-1988)
- Bode George (Governor 1988-1990)
- S. Abiodun Olukoya (Governor 1990-1992)
- Dele Olumilua (Governor 1992-1993)
- Mike Torey L. ( administrator 1993-1994)
- Ahmed Usman ( administrator 1994-1996)
- Anthony Onyearugbulem ( administrator 1996-1998)
- Moses Fasanya ( administrator 1998-1999)
- Ade Adefarati (Governor 1999-2003)
- Olusegun Agagu (Governor 2003-2007)
- Olusegun Mimiko (Governor from 2007 to now )
The state is divided into 18 Local Government Areas. These are: Akoko North - East, Akoko North-West, Akoko South - East, Akoko South-West, Akure North, Akure South, Ese - Odo, Idanre, Ifedore, Ijaye, Ile- Oluji - Okeigbo, Irele, Odigbo, Okitipupa, Ondo East, Ondo West, Ose and Owo.
Agriculture and fishing are the main economic activities in Ondo. There are grown among other cocoa, yams, cassava and coconuts. The state is the leading producer of cocoa in Nigeria.
Abia | Adamawa | Akwa Ibom | Anambra | Bauchi | Bayelsa | Benue | Borno | Cross River | Delta | Ebonyi | Edo | Ekiti | Enugu | Gombe | Imo | Jigawa | Kaduna | Kano | Katsina | Kebbi | Kogi | Kwara | Lagos | Nassarawa | Niger | Ogun | Ondo | Osun | Oyo | plateau | Rivers | Sokoto | Taraba | Yobe | Zamfara Federal Capital Territory
- State (Nigeria )