Bourg -de- Sirod is a commune in the French department of Jura in the Franche -Comté. She is one of 38 member municipalities of the municipal association Communauté de communes Champagnole Porte du Haut- Jura.
Bourg -de- Sirod is 584 m, about four miles southeast of downtown Champagnole (air line). The village is located in the Jura, on a plateau north of the valley of the Ain above the Perte de l' Ain, between the forest height of the Bois de Sapois in the west and the ridge of the Chateau- Vilain in the east.
The area of 4.42 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the French Jura. The central part of the area is occupied by a valley, which extends in a north-south direction, has a width of 700 m and an average is at 580 m. This valley is particularly in its northern section swampy ( Etang Marquis ). She is flanked on the west by the Bois Sapois ( 736 m), to the east of the height of Lent ( here is 792 m, the highest elevation of Bourg -de- Sirod reached).
To the south of Bourg -de- Sirod passes over a terrain level to about 50 m deeper valley of the Ain. This occurs from the east into the basin, where it breaks through the narrow ridge of Chateau - Vilain and Côte Poire with a deep Klus. Here is the Perte de l' Ain. The river rushes with several waterfalls in a ravine, disappears for a short time under a slab of rock, and then reached the pool at the resort of Les Forges, where it turns south.
At Bourg -de- Sirod addition to the actual site also includes several settlements and isolated farms, including:
- Les Forges (535 m) at the Ain, at the exit from the Perte de l' Ain
- Bourg- Dessus (590 m ) at the western foot of the ridge, of Chateau - Vilain
Neighboring communities of Bourg -de- Sirod are Sapois and Lent in the north, Sirod in the east, the south and Syam Champagnole in the West.
Is first mentioned the town in the 9th century. The community consisted of three settlements in the Middle Ages: Bourg- Dessus, Bourg - lingerie (equivalent to today's Bourg -de- Sirod ) and Sirod (now a separate municipality ) with the parish church. To 1186 the castle Chateau- Vilain was probably built on the site of an existing already during the Bronze Age and Gallo-Roman fortress. Lords were masters of COMMERCY, which also had the rule of Mont- Rivel. During the Middle Ages Chateau- Vilain was the center of a major rule, which included the areas of Champagnole, Planches -en- Montagne and Val de Sirod. The castle was built in 1595 by Henry IV's troops besieged and taken, and after a long siege devastated in 1639 by Swedish troops.
The settlement Bourg- lingerie wore in the 14th century the name Richebourg and was then attached. Together with the Franche -Comté reached Bourg -de- Sirod with the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678 to France. Left quite early on Ain workshops down that were dependent on hydropower. The Ironworks of Bourg -de- Sirod were founded in 1734. 1810, the Chateau- Vilain was finally destroyed and the building materials used for the repair of the iron works.
With 95 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) Bourg -de- Sirod one of the smallest towns in the Jura. After the population had decreased significantly in the first half of the 20th century (1891 298 persons were still counted ), only relatively small fluctuations were recorded since the early 1970s.
Economy and infrastructure
Bourg -de- Sirod has long been an embossed through farming village. Since the 18th century, the economy was dominated by the iron plant at Ain. In addition, there are today some of the local small business enterprises. Many workers are also commuters who engage in the larger towns in the vicinity of their work.
The village is located off the major thoroughfares near a department road that leads from Champagnole after Sirod. Another road connection with Syam.
From the medieval castle Chateau- Vilain ruins are preserved ( foundations of the towers and the remains of the enclosure ). Bourg -de- Sirod does not have a church, but in the municipal area are the former castle chapel from the 12th century and the chapel of Les Forges from the 19th century. In the hamlet Bourg- Dessus is a purpose-built in 1616 gate tower. Among the natural attractions include the Perte de l' Ain.
Andelot -en- Montagne | Ardon | Bourg -de- Sirod | Champagnole | Chapois | Châtelneuf | Cize | Crotenay | Équevillon | Le Larderet | Le Latet | Lent | Loulle | Monnet -la -Ville | Mont- sur- Monnet | Montigny- sur- l'Ain | Montrond | Moutoux | Les Nans | Ney | Le Pasquier | Pillemoine | Pont -du- Navoy | Saint- Germain -en- Montagne | Sapois | Sirod | Supt | Syam | Valempoulières | Vannoz | Le Vaudioux | verse -en- Montagne
- Commune in the department of Jura
- Place in Franche -Comté