Saint- Germain -en- Montagne is a commune in the French department of Jura in the Franche -Comté.
Saint- Germain -en- Montagne is situated 630 m above sea level. M., about five kilometers north- northeast of the city Champagnole (air line). The scattered village extends in the Jura, on the eastern edge of the plateau of the Angillon at the foot of the heights of the Forêt de la face and northeast of Mont Rivel.
The area of 5.35 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the French Jura. The main part of the area is occupied by a plateau at 600 m above sea level on average. M. is and is mainly composed of arable and meadow land. To the west, the municipality's area extends to near the banks of the Etang du Moutoux, a bog lake in the catchment of Angillon. In the east the area extends over a densely wooded hillside on the ridge of the Forêt de la face, one oriented in a north-south direction elongated Jura chain. Here is 850 m above sea level. M. reached the highest point of Saint- Germain -en- Montagne.
The municipality of Saint- Germain -en- Montagne was settled very early. A testimony of prehistoric man has the Pierre Lite, a megalith in the Forêt de la face. During the Gallo- Roman period here was a vast Roman estate, which probably meant Placentia and was destroyed in the 3rd century AD by the invading Germans. During excavations the remains of the Roman villa were discovered, including sewers, wells, fragments of pottery and bronze statuettes.
Probably the priory of Saint- Germain- dans- les- Bois, founded in the 5th century, in which developed later settlement. In the Middle Ages, Saint- Germain -en- Montagne formed its own rule, which was separated from the rule Montrivel and from 1315 was the lords of Chalon- Arlay. In 1294 the village was awarded certain liberties. Together with the Franche -Comté it came with the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678 to France.
The present parish church of Saint- Germain was built in 1770; the bell tower dates from 1790.
With 432 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) Saint- Germain -en- Montagne is one of the small towns in the Jura. Once the population has consistently had in the first half of the 20th century in the range of approximately 150 people, a significant population increase has been recorded since the early 1960s.
Economy and infrastructure
Saint- Germain -en- Montagne was until well into the 20th century a predominantly coined by agriculture and forestry village. In addition, there are today some of the local small business enterprises. Meanwhile, the village has been transformed into a residential community. Many workers are commuters who principally engaged in the larger towns of the environment in Champagnole their work.
The village is located off the major thoroughfares on a secondary road, leading from Pont de Gratteroche ( on the main road N5 ) to Mournans - Charbonny. Further road links exist with Équevillon, Vannoz and Moutoux.
Andelot -en- Montagne | Ardon | Bourg -de- Sirod | Champagnole | Chapois | Châtelneuf | Cize | Crotenay | Équevillon | Le Larderet | Le Latet | Lent | Loulle | Monnet -la -Ville | Mont- sur- Monnet | Montigny- sur- l'Ain | Montrond | Moutoux | Les Nans | Ney | Le Pasquier | Pillemoine | Pont -du- Navoy | Saint- Germain -en- Montagne | Sapois | Sirod | Supt | Syam | Valempoulières | Vannoz | Le Vaudioux | verse -en- Montagne
- Commune in the department of Jura
- Place in Franche -Comté