The name Campiglia is derived from the Latin word campus (Italian campo ) for " box " from. The addition Marittima ( Italian for " in the sea " ) received Campiglia 1862 on the occasion of taking place in the following year opened its railway station to other places of the same name ( in accordance with other additives ) distinguish the place.
The municipality has an area of 83 km ². It resembles a triangle that widens from north to south. From the most northerly point near the summit of Monte Calvi ( 646 m above N. N. ) to the southernmost point, approaching the Gulf of Follonica up to 3 km, one measures 12 kilometers. From the eastern point, which projects like a finger in the Natural Park Montioni ( Parco Provinciale inter Montioni ) to the westernmost point of the approaches to 1.5 kilometers of the Etruscan Coast, there are 14.5 kilometers.
The northern part of the township is located on a spur of the Tuscan Ore Mountains ( Metalliferous Hills ), the central and southern part of the Cornia plain (Val di Cornia ). The river Cornia crosses the municipal area in the east and southeast.
The municipality of Campiglia Marittima is composed of the main town and the municipal districts Venturina Cafaggio Banditelle and Lumiere.
In the rural areas of the municipality, there are numerous farms, olive oil and wine from their own vineyards as well as other regional products manufacture. Many farms also offer holidays on the farm.
Campiglia Marittima ( village )
The first documented mention 1004 Location Campiglia Marittima is situated on a hill dominating the surrounding countryside. The intact medieval town center with its city walls, the steep, winding streets and rustic home runs as well as the mostly bare facades is one of the most beautiful historic town on the Etruscan Coast. The tree-like streets and alleys network is extensively grown naturally and helps the cramped topographical conditions on the hilltop account. (. 12th-14th century), the ruins of this hilltop castle at the highest point of the old town (215 m above N. N. ) offers a panoramic view of the Gulf of Follonica ( in the south), the Gulf of Baratti ( in the southwest, and sometimes up to 100 kilometers away island of Corsica ), and in the hilly, rugged hinterland of quarries ( mainly in the north ).
Ruins of the hilltop castle of Campiglia
View from Campiglia on the Cornia Valley to the Gulf of Follonica
The Pieve of San Giovanni in the cemetery of Campiglia
Venturina with its shaped by the 20th century townscape is 4.5 kilometers by road southwest of Campiglia on the historic route of the Via Aurelia. The latter runs through the place straight from northwest to southeast. Located on the open plain Venturina (15 m above N. N. ) was applied broadly on track since the mid-19th century. Venturina forms the residential and business district of the municipality of Campiglia Marittima. In the north of the town there is a small, natural thermal lake with a temperature of 36 ° C. It was known to the Etruscans ( Caldana ), but was shown to be used only by the Romans ( Aquae Populoniae ).
About the State Road 1 ( SS1 Via Aurelia ), which skirts the west and south of Venturina, as well as the railway station " Campiglia Marittima " southwest of Venturina the community is connected to the long-distance transport with Pisa and Rome.
History and Culture
In the municipality of Campiglia Marittima, there are impressive testimonies of the Etruscan, Roman and medieval culture. Shows an overview of local history collection in the former turret of the hilltop castle of Campiglia.
One of the highlights of national importance, the Archaeological Mines Park of San Silvestro dar. on the 450 -acre site in the hills north of Campiglia were mined in 1976 lead, silver, copper and zinc since the Etruscan period to the year. The Mining Park opened in 1996 and for visitors and added to the list of funded by UNESCO Geoparks 2010. In its center, the miners and metal smelter Rocca San Silvestro rises imposingly ( 10./11.-14. Century).
Mine course for visitors
Rocca San Silvestro
In August 1953, Mixed-breed dog of unknown ancestry jumped into the railway station " Campiglia Marittima " of a freight train and moved in the neighborhood Station. He chose for the next eight years Campiglia as a base for his train back and forth across Italy. He knew the train even better than the stationmaster. 1958 turned the Italian Broadcasting Company documentary Lampo, the traveling dog and made the dog in Italy and beyond to a celebrity. At this time Lampo was one of the most photographed dog in the world. His name Lampo (German "Blitz" ), the gave him the railwaymen of Campiglia, stems from the fact that he was a bolt from the blue showed up as in their lives. On July 22, 1961 Lampo was run over by a train and buried in front of an acacia tree on the railway station premises. 1962 was erected on the station premises a larger than life statue of Lampo, which can still be seen today. Lampos closest human caregiver, train employees Elvio Barlettani, put him with the book Lampo goes wherever he wants ( Original title: Lampo, il cane viaggiatore, 1962) a literary monument.