Relationships is a town in the district of Gießen in central Hesse. Due to the bi -annual festival Shepherd Hungen also bears the name " The Shepherd City".
- 2.1 Amalgamations
- 2.2 spin-offs
- 3.1 Mayor
- 3.2 twin city
- 4.1 Structures in Hungen 4.1.1 City Evangelical Church
- 4.1.2 Castle
- 4.1.3 Former County Office Building
- 4.1.4 residential Buildings
- 4.1.5 City Wall
- 4.1.6 Grass Court
- 4.2.1 castle Inheiden
- 4.2.2 fortlet field Wald
- 4.2.3 District Nonnenroth
- 5.1 traffic 5.1.1 history
- 5.1.2 Road Traffic
- 5.1.3 Railway
- 5.1.4 Public transport
- 5.1.5 Long distance routes
The city Hungen located in the southeastern part of the district of Gießen, Hessen, Federal Republic of Germany. It lies on the border between Wetterau and Vogelsberg.
Relationships is bordered to the north by the town of Laubach, on the east by the city Nidda ( Wetterau ), to the south by the municipalities Woelfersheim ( Wetterau ) and Echzell and to the west by the cities of coins mountain ( Wetterau ) and Lich.
The integration of communities Bellersheim, Inheiden, Rodheim, Rabertshausen, Nonnenroth, Langd, Obbornhofen, Steinheim, Trai - Horloff, Utphe, and Villingen in the 1970s, the city has about 13,000 inhabitants Hungen today.
Documented the core city was first mentioned on 28 July 782 as a donation of Charlemagne to the Abbey of Hersfeld. This increased the donation along with the surrounding villages and land clearing for so-called " hersfeld'schen Mark " from. The monastery Bailiwick then passed under the rule of Münzenberger and fell to the Falkensteiner later. For the year 1320, the parish church is attested in a deed of gift. Emperor Charles IV granted the city rights on April 20, 1361. Through an inheritance Hungen came on May 24, 1419 to the Counts of Solms, which on May 24, 1469 by Emperor Frederick III. a Market Law was awarded for the period from 28 October to 11 November. This results in the traditional Allerheiligenmarkt developed. From 1602 to 1693 Hungen was a separate county by inheritance, then came to the Hesse- Darmstadt and with this the beginning of the 19th century under the sovereignty of the Grand Duchy of Hesse.
In the course of municipal reform in Hesse communities Langd, Rabertshausen, Steinheim, Trai - Horloff and Utphe as well as at 31 December 1971 the municipalities Nonnenroth and Rodheim were incorporated on a voluntary basis on 31 December 1970. On January 1, 1977, the municipalities Bellersheim, Inheiden, Obbornhofen and Villingen were incorporated by Hungen by the law on the restructuring of the Dill circle, the counties of Giessen and Wetzlar and Giessen.
On August 1, 1972, a field with at that time about 50 inhabitants was transferred to the neighboring town of Nidda.
The municipal election held on March 27, 2011 had the following result:
Rainer Wengosch (CDU ) sat down at the local elections on 27 March 2011, 64.4 % of the votes against Elke Högy (SPD ) by. On 2 December 2011, he was inaugurated, sparking Klaus Peter Weber ( SPD) after 18 years in office from.
- Saint -Bonnet -de- Mure ( at Lyon, Rhône department, France)
Culture and sights
Buildings in Hungen
Protestant city church
The Protestant church is the oldest building Hungens and is first mentioned in 1286. In her grown for centuries appearance it combines the architectural styles of the Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance. Towards the end of the 12th century was the Romanesque lower part of the tower, which is located between the choir and nave and is equipped with valuable murals. The two upper floors are from the mid-13th century and have early Gothic style elements. The late Gothic choir was consecrated in 1518 and served the Count House of Solms- Spins, the nearly 100 years was based in Spins, as grave chapel. The nave was enlarged 1596-1608. Presented for the former church building, the castle-like building something completely new is and was in the 17th and 18th centuries as a model for numerous Protestant churches nearby.
About the beginnings of an attachment of the small castle hill, just 15 meters above the Horloff, only speculations can be made. The present castle was built since the mid-15th century in place of an older castle which is vouched 1383 documentary, built. In the following centuries the castle was expanded several times, changed, acquired in 1974 by a community of owners and displaced by extreme in its present state.
Former county office building
Castle lane 6 The two-storey timber-framed building with plastered mansard roof was probably erected in the late 18th century.
Within affected by crashes and faceless new buildings village center, some older half-timbered houses have received, many of which are inevitably distorted by plaster or window openings. Yet 1978 was lost with the 1589 dated Official House ( formerly Obertorstraße 14) one of the most important monuments of the city. It is now in the open-air museum Hesse Park, where it serves as the administration building. Only recently did the increased exposure and professional restoration of some buildings in the course of urban development. The Twin House Bitzenstraße 34-36, was restored from 2009 to 2013 with a dendrochronological investigation dated the house on the 1465. In Obertorstraße 13 the truss structure at the recent restoration has been greatly renewed and supplemented in part. The now used as a restaurant gable house whose facade has curved foot braces, was probably around 1500 and probably also one of the oldest houses Hungens his city. At the market square, the inn Sterntaler ( Obertorstraße 29) is located. The imposing three-storey building with carved beams is called 1661 and was renewed in 1763.
From the medieval city walls more games are obtained in the southeast especially, most of which are installed in houses. Here also the remains of the ramparts are visible to the ditch.
On the B457 direction Nidda is located the farm Grass. The former farmhouse has been extensively renovated from 2010 to 2012. Since then, he houses among others the Limes Information Centre.
Buildings in the districts
South of Spins, near the farm Grass, lies the almost 2000 year old Roman fort Inheiden.
Fortlet field Wald
Another Roman treasure, the fortlet field Wald found about two kilometers west-southwest of the village, in the northern corner of Feldheim forest. The contours of the enclosure are still visible as a flat bumps in the terrain.
Nonnenroth was first mentioned in documents in 1271. The village was once part of Hersfeldschen Mark. On a hilltop today's landmark, a fortified church was built, whose bell tower was integrated into the new church. The Thirty Years War (1618-1648) brought the small town of much hardship, suffering and devastation, as the old " high road " of Hungen on the gallows by Nonnenroth to Grünberg leader and has always had recorded many troop movements.
Economy and infrastructure
Hungens economic importance began in the early Middle Ages by the favorable location at the crossroads of two important trade routes, the Salt Road and Old Post Road Gelnhäuser. Another important factor was the obtaining of the town and market rights, which still today bears witness to the November 1, annually held Allerheiligenmarkt.
The leading end of 2006 through the village highways 457 and 489 followed in about these ancient trade routes. Due to the new bypass their intersection is now south-east outside of town and is expanded as a roundabout.
Relations was once a railway junction. Still bear witness to the remains of the spacious station with its own freight handling. This facility secured the existence of many small shippers for close and medium ranges. The Horlofftalbahn ( Friedberg- Hungen Laubach mosquito ) and the Lahn- Kinzig -Bahn (casting - Gelnhausen ), both built by the Grand Ducal Hessian State Railways, here crossed. The Lahn- Kinzig- web is still operated as part of the Rhine -Main Transport Association ( RMV). The route Hungen - Laubach was decommissioned in 1999, dismantled, and created a bike lane in the former track bed. The route from the direction Friedberg between Woelfersheim - Södel Hungen and was decommissioned in 2005. About a restart is discussed in the riparian communities.
The city and the county Hungen casting part of the territory of the Rhine -Main Transport Association. Relationships has its own city bus service, the VGO line 60
Long distance routes
By Hungen and its neighborhoods Inheiden and Steinheim leads the German Limes Cycle Route. This follows the Upper Germanic - Rhaetian Limes 818 km from Bad Hönningen am Rhein to Regensburg on the Danube.
Sons and daughters of the town
- William Crecelius (1828-1889), German historian and teacher
- Amalie Seckbach Book (1870-1944), famous art collector and internationally recognized artist
- Ketty Guttmann (1883-1967), communist politician and activist for the rights of prostitutes
- Willi Ziegler (1929-2002), paleontologist
- The Amigos, Pop duo (district Villingen )