I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Vocals, Guitar: Conor Oberst Mandolin, 12-string Guitar: Mike Mogis Trumpet: Nate Walcott more studio musician: see below
I'm Wide Awake, It 's Morning is an album by the band Bright Eyes. It was the same time as Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, Bright Eyes another album, released in January 2005.
The album was recorded in February 2004 in the Presto! Studios in Lincoln, Nebraska. Compared to the parallel appeared Digital Ash in a Digital Urn it's folky and traditional instrumented and shaped for less electronic elements. Thus, it is stylistically more in the tradition of previous albums as Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, which is a kind of outlier in the discography of Bright Eyes.
The album begins with a spoken introduction, in this case, a story about a plane crash and then turns into a traditional three - chord folk song. On the second song We Are Nowhere and It 's Now Colonel is accompanied by Emmylou Harris.
Many of the following pieces, especially the first single Lua are very sparingly arranged. On Another Travelin 'Song and Landlocked Blues Colonel is again accompanied by Emmylou Harris.
The last piece Road to Joy is inspired musically to the Ode to Joy (English Song to Joy) by Ludwig van Beethoven. A text line of this piece gave the album its name.
Lyrically, the album criticized the American policy under George W. Bush. As an example, a quote from the song Landlocked Blues serve: " And our freedom 's a joke [ ... ] If you're still free start running away " ( and our freedom is a joke [ ... ] if you're still free, then start to run away! )
I'm Wide Awake, It 's Morning was a great success and received by most critics overwhelmingly positive. So it was at laut.de full marks. In the British magazine Q, it was awarded as the fifth best album of 2005, in Rolling Stone, it was in this summary eighth.
In Germany, the album spent six weeks in the Top 100 Highest placement was rank 21 The single Lua reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Sales chart.
Since Bright Eyes is mainly the project of Conor Oberst, the cast of musicians often changes from album to album. However, Mike Mogis and Nate Walcott have become over the recordings to full members of the band.
- Conor Oberst - vocals, guitar
- Mike Mogis - mandolin, 12 -string guitar ( song 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10)
- Nick White - piano, organ, vibraphone ( Song 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10)
- Jesse Harris - Guitar ( Song 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8)
- Tim Luntzel - Bass ( Song 1, 3, 6, 7, 8)
- Jason Boesel - drums ( Song 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 )
- Matt Maginn - bass ( Song 2, 5, 9, 10)
- Nate Walcott - Trumpet ( Song 2, 3, 8, 10)
- Clark Baechle - Drums ( song 3, 7, 10)
- Emmylou Harris - vocal ( song 2, 7, 8)
- Alex McManus - Guitar ( Song 3 )
- Maria Taylor - vocal ( song 3, 9 )
- Jake Bellows - harmonica, vocals ( song 5)
- Jim James - vocals ( song 1)
- Andy LeMaster - Voice ( Song 3 )