London Borough of Wandsworth
The London Borough of Wandsworth [ wɒndzwəθ ] is a city district of London. It is located in the southwest of the city. With the establishment of the administrative region of Greater London in 1965, he emerged from the Metropolitan Borough of Battersea and the Metropolitan Borough of Wandsworth in Surrey (excluding the districts of Clapham and Streatham ).
The population continued in 2008, composed of 79.7 % White, 7.4 % Asian, 7.2% black and 1.0 % Chinese.
The Clapham Junction Rail Station, the largest train station in the UK, is in the east of the borough. The landmark of Wandsworth is the Battersea Power Station. Also located with the Battersea Park a popular, 83 -acre, landscaped 1846-1864 park which includes a zoo and a Japanese pagoda, among other things, in the district. In Wandsworth is the famous, Prison Wandsworth, were executed in the sentence of death until the 1960s felon.
Battersea was in the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century as a stronghold of the left wing of the labor movement. 1892 in the constituency of Battersea North with John Burns one of the first representatives of the unions elected to the House, from 1922 to 1923 and from 1924 to 1929 represented the native of India, Communist Shapurji Saklatvala that constituency.
- Battersea *
- Nine Elms *
- Putney Heath *
- Putney Vale
- Roehampton *
- Streatham Park
- Tooting *
- Tooting Bec
- Wandsworth Town
* - There are no separate article, only redirects here For the corresponding parts of the city.
- Clement Attlee, Prime Minister
- Darren Bent, Football Player
- Sam Bird, Race Car Driver
- Thomas Cromwell, 1st Earl of Essex, Statesman
- Edward Gibbon, historian
- Edmund Gwenn (1877 - 1959), stage and film actor
- Lynden David Hall, singer and songwriter
- Lawrence Oates, Arctic explorer
- Anthony Phillips, guitarist
- Sangharakshita, Buddhist clergy
- John Walter, Publisher
- Alexander William Williamson, chemists
- Matt Willis, singer and songwriter
- The xx, indie band
- Emily Blunt, Actress
- Craig Eastmond, football player
- Camille Coduri, Actress