Marquette -lez -Lille (literally: Marquette - in -Lille ) is a commune in the Nord, in the Nord -Pas -de -Calais.
- 6.1 Town twinning
- 8.1 Demographic Trends
- 8.2 Age pyramid
The community is located about four kilometers north of Lille in the lowlands of French Flanders in the middle of large urban conurbation of Lille, Roubaix and Tourcoing.
Marquette is served by bus routes 14, 56 and 88, the drive from Lille Flandres train station on the Marquette -lez -Lille, Quesnoy -sur- Deûle or Comines. Main access roads are the roads department D 710 (North Western Bypass Lille, exit № 10, " Marquette center" ), the D 617 and D 949 in the East
The city of Marquette -lez -Lille was established in June 2012 in the category " preservation of biodiversity, the environment and natural resources " award at the northern French Ecology Fair Environord the Environmental Award Prix Chloro'Villes. Marquette -les -Lille received this award for an ecological pasture economic project.
The geographical location of Marquette -lez -Lille at the mouth of the Marque in the Deûle made the city a witness to history. Through archaeological excavations today a rich past comes to light again.
- Village in the quarter -en- Flandres: Here 2009 archaeological excavations were carried out, before the area was re- divided into lots and built between July 2008 and January. It was discovered more than 2000 years old Roman road, an annular limited sanctuary from the Bronze Age, as well as plots and enclosures from the Hallstatt and La Tène. In addition, a fountain was found in fully maintained condition a scale, a nailed shoe sole and 79 Roman sesterces out of copper and brass. On the coins of the Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius, his daughter Antonina and his wife Lucilla were mapped.
- In the Quartier de l' Abbaye ( " Abbey Quarter " ): Under a former chemical factory of the Group Rhône-Poulenc/Rhodia a former Cistercian abbey was brought to light. The abbey was founded by the Countess Joan of Flanders, which made it one of the largest in Europe.
- In the district of Haut- Touquet: There was a Merovingian necropolis discovered before the establishment of a new district in 2005/2006.
Etymology and history
The name Marckete first appeared in 1143 in a bull of Pope Celestine II on the allocation of income altar to the abbey of Saint- Pierre in Lille. The names Marchete or Markette are also delivered from the years 1221 and 1225.
In the year 1340 the inhabitants of Lille won in the field of community Marquette under the leadership of the Marquis of Roubaix a significant ( military ) victory against the English and Flemish.
The industrial development of the village was initially limited to the right bank of Deûle. There came to the settlement of the chemical industry and a starch factory. From the mid 19th century saw the construction of a hospital for the expansion of the village on the other side of Deûle. The hospital was part of the parish of Saint -Jean -de- Dieu in the quarter Lommelet.
At the beginning of the 20th century, two major flour mills were built in Marquette, but until the 1920s it came to increased industrialization in the community through a variety of businesses, employing local workers: Kuhlmann, decauville, Les Grandes Malteries Modern, Massey Harris or Les Grands Moulins de Paris.
The closure of these companies in the 1970s left many land and building a state of utter neglect. Since then, the community preferably employed with the conversion of this industrial land in favor of companies in the service sector. Thanks to this urban facilities, the community can now rely on an environment that is constantly being improved by developing many modern infrastructure.
The coat of arms of Marquette -lez -Lille shows on a blue background in silver writing between two silver ribbons the word " MARQUETTE ". The original text of the blazon reads (in French): ". D' azur au nom de Marquette d' argent mis en bande entre deux cotices du même "
- Fredersdorf Bird village ( Germany )
- Sleaford (United Kingdom)
- Tiszafüred (Hungary )
- Somcuta Mare ( Romania)
Marquette -lez -Lille was the site of numerous industries:
- The Company decauville where goods Loren same name were made as well as thousands of kilometers of track for narrow gauge railways with a gauge of 60 cm. These goods Loren primarily related to the underground coal transport in the northern French mines, occasionally they were also used in the rest of France in forestry and industry.
- The chemical industry with the branches of Kuhlmann and Deca Chimie.
- The factory of Massey- Harris ( merged into Massey Ferguson ) that combine for the world produced until 1982.
- Built in the 1923 flour mill of Les Grands Moulins de Paris (literally: " The Great mills of Paris " ) until 1989.
In 2010 the community numbered 9797 inhabitants. The development of the population since 1793 is known thanks to the since in Marquette -lez -Lille conducted censuses. From the 21st century, the data of communities are recognized with less than 10 000 inhabitants, every five years, the data of larger municipalities, however, annually.
Sources: EHESS ( until 1962 ) and INSEE (from 1968 )
Sources: INSEE and EHESS
- The remains of the abbey founded in 1228 Marquette, where is located the grave of Countess Jeanne of Flanders and Constantinople Opel. The abbey was listed as a Historic Monument in the monument list of the French Ministry of Culture on 30 March 2005.
- The system of Lommelet from 1825 to the first psychiatric hospital in the region. The complex includes a chapel, the actual hospital building, workshops and a farm.
- The Music School (former seat of the mayor ) from the year 1848.
- The Town Hall (French: " Hôtel de ville " ) at the Château Despretz of 1874, since 1930, the official residence of the mayor.
- The school " Jules Ferry", a renewed cultivation of the Town Hall from 1872.
- The church of Saint -Amand of 1874.
- The church of Notre Dame de Lourdes from 1932.
- The 1921 built in neo -Flemish style and 1986 disused former production facilities of the Group Les Grands Moulins de Paris, which had been entered in 2001 as a historic monument in the monument list of the French Ministry of Culture.
- The Chapel of Saint -Roch in the Rue Lalau.
- The 1923 built pavilions of Épinette, a kind of garden city and workers' settlement on the banks of the Marque.
- The domain of Vert Bois (literally " Green Forest "), a 4.5 acre park with 660 different species of trees.
- The custodian of the tram museum of Amitram with several as a monument historique classified machines.
- Built in 1990, The Village settlement en Flandres (literally, " village in Flanders " ) in the western part of the city.
With Marquette associated personalities
- Isabelle Aubret, born in Lille singer, has lived up to the age of 13 in Marquette -lez -Lille.
- Joanna of Flanders and Constantinople Opel, circa 1200-1244, Countess of Flanders and Hainault, who lived from 1240 until her death in 1244 in Marquette.
- Alexandre Descatoire, French sculptor, died in 1949 in Marquette -lez -Lille.
- Nathalie Vincent, television presenter.
Folklore and tradition
- The hospital for the poor, founded by Joanna of Flanders and Constantinople Opel as part of the Abbey of Marquette maintained by donations in cash or in kind. The latter were mainly poultry. The fat- fed animals were called capons and were distributed to the poor. In 1968, the city of Marquette decided to revive this custom new: " capons ", small biscuits in poultry form, are thrown out of the town hall. Some of the biscuits are marked with a sign and can be exchanged for real animals. Since then, the festival of capons takes place every year on the third Sunday in March.
- During the warmer months the Tram Museum of the association Amitram provides Sundays and holidays trips with museum trams on a 3 km stretch along the banks of the Deûle. The old vehicles traveling between the stops in Marquette and Pont Mabile Ferme Saint- Chrysole in Wambrechies.
- Since about 2003, gives the city Marquette annually in October, the award Prix Isabelle Aubret for the most beautiful love letter of the year.