Poschechonje (Russian Пошехонье ) is a small town in Yaroslavl Oblast (Russia) with 6084 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The city is located in the Mologa - Scheksna lowlands about 150 kilometers northwest of the Oblasthauptstadt Yaroslavl at the Sogoscha, near its confluence with the Rybinsk Reservoir.
Poschechonje is the administrative center of the homonymous Rajons.
The nearest train station is 65 kilometers southwest Rybinsk Yaroslavl at the track - Bologoje. By Poschechonje, the road R104 Rybinsk Cherepovets along the east bank of the Rybinsk Reservoir.
In place of the present-day city existed the monastery village Pertoma in the 17th century. In 1777 it became a town under the present name, which means about area on the Schechon, where Schechon is an ancient name of the river Scheksna in which the Sogoscha far culminated before the creation of Rybinsk reservoir.
Since the 18th century, the craft of making gold leaf and silver thin and Alumimiumfolien developed in Poschechonje eg for the production of military medals.
From 1918 to 1992, the city Poschechonje - Volodarsk called after the Revolutionary W. Wolodarski ( 1891-1918 ).
Note: Census data (1926-1939 rounded)
Culture and sights
In Poschechonje the Trinity Cathedral Dind ( Троицкий собор / Troitsky Sobor ) of 1717 and the Assumption Church ( Успенская церковь / Uspenskaja Tserkov ) obtained from 1822.
Five kilometers from Poschechonje, the village Andrianova Sloboda, the Andrianov Ascension Monastery is ( Адрианов - Успенский монастырь / Andrianov - Uspensky monastyr ).
In Poschechonje there are companies in the food industry ( dairy ) and the timber industry. According to the city's well-known in Russia Poschechonjer cheese cheese ( syr Poschechonski ) named, but which is not currently manufactured in Poschechonje.