Skanderborg Kommune is a Danish municipality in Jutland. It was created on 1 January 2007 as part of local government reform by combining the "old" Skanderborg municipality with the former municipalities Galten, Horning and Ry, and the eastern part of the former municipality Voerladegård Sogn Brædstrup.
Skanderborg municipality has a total population of 58 094 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2013 ) and an area of 416.90 km ². It is part of Jutland region. The seat of government is in Skanderborg.
Villages in the municipality
The municipal area, the following villages are more than 200 inhabitants ( byer as defined by the Danish Bureau of Statistics ), with a registered population of zero, the place in the past had more than 200 inhabitants. Skovby is counted by the expansion of the settlement area since the municipal reform of 2007 statistically Galten, this is indicated in the table with A. In 2006 there were still Skovby 2706 inhabitants.
Culture and sights
- The Skanderborg Museum was founded in 1913 by Herman Christian Arent. In addition to the natural history department, the Monastic Museum provides information and sightseeing opportunities for urban and regional history. In the outdoor area, you can visit archaeological finds and testimonies of the former monastery. Themed events complement the permanent exhibitions. Other monuments and historical sites have been designated as special museums: so remember two German bunker with a permanent exhibition of the German occupation in World War II, in one of the three surviving windmills can get to know the traditional peasant carving ( made of wooden shoes, tools and equipment ), in a refurbished watermill traces and evidence of commercial inland fishing, the fish trap builders and basket makers can be visited.
- In the midst of the old town one sees a lopsided, but uninhabitable house - it was bequeathed as a project by the Danish Ole Lund Kirkegaard children's book author in his hometown. The goal is a lovingly crafted fantasy world for children who annually sponsors with new details - eg Dragon benches, should be developed bizarre street signs, facade painting and a children's party.
- The City Library Galten is one of three public libraries in the municipality. The building located at Galtener marketplace was designed by the local artist Bente Petersen lovingly with fabric and felt dolls and furniture appropriate for children, it offers especially for kindergartens and primary schools prepared events.
- In the core city is erected in a city park cultural center with various offers. The Cinema Park BIO is the largest of the three cinemas in the municipality and is located in the multifunctional hall of the cultural center. It was opened in 1998 and offers standard seating for 144 seats. The supported 300 citizens profit organization Skanderborg Biograffore operates theaters. Family-friendly opening times and thematically diverse film programs to be offered. With the mother-child program offers additional topics are cross-linked in the cultural center.
- And situated in the district of Ry Ry Biograph cinema with 93 seats, the smallest and oldest cinema in the municipality, it was opened in 1918 on the Gutsgelände of Rye Nørskov Gods and managed since 1990 by the association that offers two evening shows.
- And situated in the district Galten cinema BIO Huset was built in the 1950s and is also in community ownership. It has 102 seats. In addition to ongoing programs great movie provider offers the cinema in the mornings for schools and senior groups selected film offers, popular are the short films shown once a month as BabyBif for toddlers.
- The folk high school Ry Højskole was founded in 1892 and has become detached after 2004 from the old-fashioned school operations and emerged a cultural meeting place and venue. The rooms and workshops offered a total of 23 offer rich opportunities for artistic design, cooking classes, literary readings and rehearsed by the students of music, theater and ballets. Most of the " students " are 20 to 25 years old and come from all over Denmark to take a course with renowned instructors.
- In three districts, there are local archives that collect the estate of her residents and scientifically documented.
- The place Sølund was designed on the edge of a nature reserve ( swamp area ) as a social settlement in 1970. In addition to the local nursing home, the spot boasts a wildlife park with mountain goats and a Ponnyhof, the place is also known for its mud bath.
- In a book grove not far from the urban core was already organized folk festivals and singing events in the 1870s. Man created as a job creation project, a natural stage, which was inaugurated in 1928 as the amphitheater Skanderborg and enabled until the beginning of World War II in the summer months entertainment for young and old. 1938 was even held there under the open sky, the annual meeting of the Danish Association of abstinence. That in the 1980s, largely overgrown terrain was discovered by young people as an ideal venue for a rock music event. After several disastrous events, the legendary Skanderborg Festival has developed rapidly since 1985 with more than 25,000 loyal visitors.
Sport and leisure activities
- The Skanderborg Golf Club is an 18 - hole golf course. It is close to the Skanderborg in a hilly area and therefore also requires athletic stamina. Guests of the club are cared for in a private hotel.
- In the scenic surroundings, a vast plot of land was acquired by the Danish Christian Youth Association and opened as a FDF Outdoor Centre Sletten. The Youth Camp is considered as the most beautiful camp in the heart of Denmark, the nearly 100 -acre estate offers a variety of recreational activities. At intervals of five years, will be held the ten-day FDF - country meetings with up to 15,000 participants on the site.
- The interconnected by rivers and canals lakes in the municipality are appreciated by sailors and water walkers.
- In 1994, a three-time world record was achieved in sport fishing for bream on Skanderborg. The possibilities for sports and recreational anglers are praised. Many beginners have the local " Put & Take" - caught fish ponds their first fish. The fishing spots are partially equipped for disabled people even wheelchairs can fish easily there.