In Burgsolms the ancestral castle of the Count and princely family Solms with the main lines of Solms- Braunfels was based in Braunfels and Solms- Lich - Hohensolms based in Lich.
- 3.1 City Council
- 3.2 Mayor
- 3.3 Youth Council of the city of Solms
- 3.4 partnerships
- 3.5 Coat of Arms
- 4.1 Established businesses
- 4.2 traffic
- 4.3 Media
- 5.1 Industry and Local Museum Solms
Solms is located right in the Lahn Valley and is nestled between the central mountain foothills Taunus and Westerwald with heights from 140 to 400 meters above sea level. Since the Lahn is the geographical border between the Taunus and Westerwald, are parts of Solms im Taunus, other parts in the Westerwald.
Solms is bordered to the north by the municipality Ehringhausen and the city Asslar, on the east by the city of Wetzlar, in the south on the community Schöffengrund and the town of Braunfels, and to the west by the city Leun (all in the Lahn -Dill -Kreis).
It consists of the following districts:
First mention was in 788 in a donation document of the monastery Lorsch. The villages that make up the city of Solms today, belonged for centuries to the County of Solms until its dissolution in 1806. Nassau After a brief interlude in 1815 they came to Prussia.
In the course of municipal reform in Hesse joined on 1 July 1971, the municipalities Albshausen and Oberbiel to Biel Hausen voluntarily and Burgsolms and Oberndorf zu Solms together. By state law, these two new churches were combined with Niederbiel on 1 January 1977 for new total community Solms, who was awarded city rights on 11 April 1978.
1803, the monastery was secularized Altenberg, ie secularized and awarded the Prince of Solms- Braunfels as compensation. The monastery church was used from now on under princely patronage of the Protestant church Oberbiel. Solms- Braunfels lost his possessions in Alsace - Lorraine to France.
In 1806, the Principality of Solms- Braunfels with the offices Braunfels and grasping stone to the Duchy of Nassau. Already in 1815, in turn, to the Kingdom of Prussia. The prince, however, retained some of its befitting their rights. Together with the former imperial city of Wetzlar made it an enclave of the Prussian Rhine Province. (This is reflected, among other things, today it reflected that the old district of Wetzlar is part of the Rhenish country church.)
After a period of economic prosperity since the 1860s, led in the 1920s a severe economic crisis to the demise of several mines and businesses. Among other things, the first is less than 20 years earlier, was put into operation Georg hut was demolished in Burgsolms.
The municipal election held 27 March 2011 yielded the following results:
Mayor Frank Indians Thal ( SPD) since 1 August 2010, in office. He was elected on 28 February 2010 as the mayor of the town of Solms. He received 64.6 percent of votes to the incumbent Jörg Ludwig ( FWG ) accounted for 35.4 percent of the vote. Ludwig was since 1992 in office.
Youth Council of the city of Solms
Since 2002, the Youth Council of the City Solms be an official body of the city. It represents the interests and concerns of young people Solmser before the politicians. He is elected every 2 years, who live by the children and young people in Solms or visit the comprehensive school in Solms.
The town of Solms maintains partnership relations with
- Liezen in Austria,
- La Grand Combe in France and
- Schmiedefeld in Thuringia.
Coat of arms
Blazon: " In a gold with seven blue shingles strewn, blue, rotbewehrter and bezungter lion, topped with a heart-shaped shield, silver is in a red hammer and chisel. "
The blue lion on a gold field is the coat of arms of the Counts of Solms. Hammer and chisel symbolize the old mining tradition of the city. Here are the colors red and silver for the Lorch Monastery, whose family has owned the church Oberndorf is in the 8th century. The coat of arms was originally the coat of arms of the municipality of Oberndorf.
Economy and infrastructure
The city is the Leica Camera AG seat, with approximately 1,300 employees worldwide. Among other things, the Solmser business park, there are other companies in the metalworking, mechanical engineering, construction, and trade. The Environment, Energy and Waste Management of the Greek group Ellaktor division has its headquarters in Solms.
In Solms, there are a number of boat owners as well as a natural campsite right on the river Lahn.
Solms can be reached via the main road 49. There is both a junction in Oberbiel, as well as one for the rest of the city.
On the rail transport, the city is connected by a railway station in Albshausen and a breakpoint in Burgsolms (both Lahntalbahn ).
Previously -chain behind the station Albshausen the Solms Bach Valley Railway towards Gravenwiesbach from. At her lay on Solmser boundaries of the breakpoint Burgsolms -Oberndorf and the train station Braunfels Oberndorf. The line was closed for passenger traffic in 1985. In 1988, also the freight has been set. The railway line was almost completely degraded. The embankment is still clearly visible.
The daily newspaper for Solms is Solms- Braunfelser the newspaper group Lahn -Dill. It is the regional edition of the Neue Zeitung Wetzlar.
In addition, the city can Solms Solms weekly news by Linus Wittich spend publishing.
Culture and sights
- Kloster Altenberg, grave lay the Blessed Gertrude, daughter of St. Elizabeth (district Oberbiel )
- Visitors mine "Grube Fortuna " (district Oberbiel ) with field and mine train museum
- 1000 year old oak trees, Unter den Eichen (district Albshausen )
- Jewish cemetery (district Burgsolms )
- Place of execution ( gallows ) on the road between Oberndorf and Albshausen of 1750, rare Hessian Rechtsmal
- Public Observatory (district Burgsolms )
Industry and Local Museum Solms
The district in Solms Solms Castle ( Station Avenue) located museum consists of two parts. In the local museum 's lives Solmser is shown around 1900. Various exhibitions and lectures on local history and simplistic historical topics are also available. The local museum is housed in the office of the former Hollmann works. Special piece: A stone cannon ball, which probably originated from the siege and destruction of Solms Castle in 1384. In the Hollmann hall is the Industrial Museum. In addition to agricultural equipment, which created the company Hollmann here since the 1880s, partly working steam and wire drawing machines are shown. Similarly, one looks at iron smelting, as well as to the processing of crops. Special piece: A working mill Siebenmuehlental and a nail punch from the top Dorferhütte.