Zografos (Greek Ζωγράφος, also Zographos ) is a suburb in the east of the Greek capital Athens.
Zografos is located in the east of Athens, about 5 km from the Acropolis, west of Ymittos, northeast of the river Ilisos. It is bordered to the west by the city of Athens, in the north - Cholargos Papagos, to the south and to the east by Kesariani Peania.
The municipality consists of the districts of Goudi, Paleo Zografou, Zografou Neo and Ano Ilisia.
The present-day districts Ano Ilisia, Goudi and Zografos were formerly called Kouponia, probably after the distribution of land on Ymittos; 1793 was given to each ottoman six lots ( plots of land ).
The area was originally used for agriculture for vegetable growing and viticulture and partially wooded. Ioannis Zografos (* 1844 in Kalavryta ), after which the community was named, was a university professor of economy. He shared a 1902 earned him land in small plots of land, which he began to sell after the First World War. The result was a settlement, with about 100 houses was formed in 1929 the rural municipality of Zografou. Ioannis Zografos only kept a piece of land at the junction of today's Boulevard Papagou and Zografou. Ioannis Zografos had five sons: Konstantinos Georgios (called " Nick the Greek" ) Nikolaos Spyridon and Sotiris ( who later became the first mayor of Zografos was ), and three daughters, Pavlina, Zinovia and Mary.
In 1930, Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos, the first elementary school, the Zographio, at the same point at which today opposite the church of Agios Theraponta are the elementary schools. One of the classrooms also served as an office of the newly established rural community Zografos. The gradually increasing location moved into a neighboring territories. It emerged handsome villas, some of which are still preserved, such as the Villa Kostas Zografos, now a kindergarten, the Villa Bonaparte, which now houses the family counseling center of the community and the Villa Gounaropoulos, now a museum.
1948 Zografos was raised to the community.
Belongs to this community the campus of the Technical University of Athens
- Gounaropoulos museum in the homonymous street, named after the painter Giorgio Gounaropoulos ( 1890-1977 ).
- Marika Kotopouli Museum, founded in 1990, a museum of modern art. Built in 1926 the building was the holiday home of the famous Greek actress Marika Kotopouli ( 1887-1953 ), after which the museum is named. During the German occupation in the Second World War it was seized by the occupying German forces, and later it housed a police station, until it was finally restored and provided for major exhibitions.