The church of Agia Paraskevi (Greek Αγία Παρασκευή ( f sg ) ) is a suburb of Athens, Greece, located about ten kilometers northeast of the capital. Agia Paraskevi has 56 839 inhabitants ² in an area of about 8 km.
Agia Paraskevi is part of the Attica region. The city is built at the foot of Mount Hymettus, therefore there are considerable differences in altitude within the city. As an average height of 230 m is specified. The suburb consists of seven districts: Agios Ioannis ( Άγιος Ιωάννης ) Kondopefko ( Κοντόπευκο ), Tsakos ( Τσακός ), Nea Zoi ( Νέα Ζωή ), Stavros ( Σταυρός ) Pefkakia ( Πευκάκια ) and Paradisos ( Παράδεισος ). Agia Paraskevi - like most suburbs of Athens - is densely populated, but the village is broken up by a number of parks and tree-lined streets. The city outstanding mountain is covered with pine forests.
The climate is Mediterranean with continental elements. Winters are mild dry with high levels of humidity and the summer. Winter there is a large temperature difference between day and night, snowfalls are not uncommon ( once or twice a year). Almost every summer there are heat waves with temperatures up to 42 ° C. Even with heavy rains, the city is never flooded because of the slope of the terrain.
Pausanias reports that in ancient times the whole area of the present town of Agia Paraskevi was one of the great former town of Flya ( Δήμος Φλύας ). According to Pausanias, it was filled with forests and wild jagdbarem. In Flya deities of the underworld were worshiped, and there were mysterious ceremonies (similar to the Mysteries of Eleusis ) instead. During the Roman era, the poet Ovid praised the beauty and the healthy climate of the area.
In recent years, the Byzantine era, the story Agia Paraskevis revolved around the life of the monastery of " Agios Ioannis the hunter ." This monastery was founded in 1185, probably by the monk " Vasilios the hunter " ( Βασίλειος ο Κυνηγός ).
During the Ottoman occupation of Greece, a small part of the monastery was demolished to fix it with the stones of the Acropolis of Athens.
It is not known exactly when the first houses were built in the area. Until 1931, Agia Paraskevi belonged to the municipality of Athens and later Chalandri. It was recognized as a separate municipality in 1931 and began a rapid urban development. 1960 Agia Paraskevi had completely lost its agricultural character and was already a developed city. In August 2004 during the Olympic Summer Games in 2004, a section of Marathon led through the main streets of Agia Paraskevi.
In 2003, Agia Paraskevi through the highway Hymettus ring directly to the Athens International Airport (Eleftherios Venizelos) was connected. A subway station was commissioned in 2006.
The Research Institute NCSR Demokritos is located in Agia Paraskevi, as is the broadcast home of the ( now-defunct ) Greek state television in place.
Regional district downtown Athens: Athens | Dafni Ymittos | Filadelfia Chalkidona | Galatsi | Ilioupoli | Kesariani | Vyronas | Zografos Regional District of North Athens Agia Paraskevi | Amarousio | Chalandri | Cholargos - Papagos | Heraklion | Kifissia | Metamorfosi | Nea Ionia | Pefki Lykovrysi | Penteli | Filothei - Psychiko | Vrilissia Regional District of Athens -South: Agios Dimitrios | Alimos | Elliniko - Argyroupoli | Glyfada | Kallithea | Muscat - Tavros | Nea Smyrni | Paleo Faliro Regional District of Athens -West: Agia Varvara | Agii Anargzri - Kamatero | Chaidari | Egaleo | Ilio | Peristeri | Petroupoli Regional District Piraeus: Keratsini - Drapetsona | Korydallos | Nikea - Agios Ioannis Rendis | Perama | Piraeus Regional district Islands: Aegina | Agistri | Hydra | Kythira | Poros | Salamis | Spetses | Trizinia Regional District of West Attica: Aspropyrgos | Elefsina | Fyli | Mandra - Idyllia | Megara Regional District of East Attica: Aharnes | Dionysos | Koropi | Lavrio | Marathon | Markopoulon Mesogeas | Pallini | Peania | Rafina - Pikermi | Oropus | Vari - Voula - Vouliagmeni | Saroniko | Spata - Artemi