Chaidari (Greek Χαϊδάρι (n. sg. ), Also traditionally Greek Χαϊδάριον, Haidarion or Chaidarion ) is a suburb in the northwest of the Greek capital Athens.
Chaidari extends at the foot of Mount Egaleo to the coast of the Gulf of Elefsis in the West. It is about six kilometers northwest of the Acropolis located north of Piraeus, southeast of Eleusis, south of Attiki Odos and west of Kifissou Boulevard ( Highway 1). It is bordered to the south by Nikea, Perama, Keratsini, Korydallos and Agia Varvara, on the east by Peristeri, on the northeast by Petroupolis, on the north by Aspropyrgos and to the west by the Gulf of Elefsis.
The eastern part of the township, which was formerly used for agricultural purposes, was urbanized in the 1950s to the 1980s.
In the north of the municipal territory, there is a new clinic at the Medical Faculty of the University of Athens.
The municipal area of pine forest of Dafni heard in the west and southwest. Strikingly, the military area and the shipyards of Skaramanga.
The municipal area stretches along the " Sacred Way ", at the annual procession from Athens moved in the Eleusinian mysteries by Elefsis. In the area of today's community Chaidari was in ancient times, the Athenian demos Hermus. Here Publius Herennius Dexippus was born.
Greek War of Independence
During the Greek struggle for freedom two battles took place in 1826 in the field of Chaidari at intervals of two days, the Battle of Chaidari on August 6, 1826 and August 8, 1826 fight in which Georgios Karaiskakis and the French Philhellene Charles Nicolas Fabvier Kioutachi Pasha opposite occurred.
Concentration camp Chaidari
Under the German occupation, a concentration camp was established in Chaidari in October 1943, which served mainly to accommodate the numerous prisoners who were arrested during raids in different parts of Athens.
The average number of prisoners amounted to 2,000, a total of 1943/44, 25,000 prisoners were housed in a concentration camp Chaidari. 1,900 of them were executed, many were deported to Germany. Jews from Athens and other parts of Greece were deported from Chaidari from the extermination camp Auschwitz -Birkenau.
1955 had 13,773 inhabitants Chaidari, 1981, the population had grown to 47 396 people.
- Dafni Monastery: The picturesque ruins of the monastery Dafni is located in a pine forest on the Sacred Way to a low pass through the Egaleo Mountains. This was in ancient times a temple of Apollo. Southwest of the monastery is a cave in which since the 5th century BC Pan and the Nymphs were worshiped. To the west of the monastery there was a sanctuary of Aphrodite from the classical period, of which only small remnants are visible.
- Palataki Tower
- Diomedeios Botanical Garden, Botanical Garden of the University of Athens 1.5 km ²
Mayor early 2007 Dimitris Maravelias.
The Club A. O. (FC) Chaidari established in 1937, currently playing in the second division.