Assen ( [ asɑ ], Provençal in the local dialect [ asɛ ( ː ) ] ) is a municipality in the district of Gros- de -Vaud in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland.
Assen is located at 635 m above sea level. Level, 10 km north of the canton capital Lausanne ( straight line ). The scattered village extends on the high plateau of Gros de Vaud, on the north western edge of the height of the Jorat, in the Vaud Mittelland.
The area of 4.5 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the gently undulating plateau of Gros de Vaud, the granary of the canton of Vaud. The communal land extending from the lowlands of Mortigue east over the open agricultural land to forest area in the Bois aux Allemands in which 692 m above sea level. M. the highest point of Assen is located. The eastern boundary is the current flowing in a slightly sunken in the Plateau Valley talent. From the municipality surface 1997 8 % were settlements, 10 % of forest and woody plants and 82 % to agriculture.
At Assen include some individual farms, and since 1 January 2009, the village Malapalud. The neighboring municipalities of Assen in the north are Echallens, in the northeast Bottens, in the east Epinay -sur -Morrens, in the southeast Morrens, southwest Etagnières, in the west Bioley -Orjulaz and to the northwest of Saint-Barthélemy.
With 1020 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Assen is one of the smaller municipalities in the canton of Vaud. Of the 91.8 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 4.7 % and 1.0 % Italian-speaking (as of 2000). The population of Assen in 1850 amounted to 356 inhabitants, 1900 to 401 inhabitants. After the population had decreased to 1970 to 335 people, a rapid population increase was observed with a doubling of the population within 30 years.
Assen was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Today, the farming and fruit growing have only a minor role in the occupational structure of the population. North of the village there is a large garden center. At the talent there was a mill. Since the 1970s new businesses in the village took up residence with the creation of an industrial zone, including among builders, a company that manufactures agricultural equipment, and printing. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the Lausanne area.
The community is easily accessible via. It lies on the main road 5 of Lausanne to Yverdon -les- Bains. On 2 June 1874 stretch Cheseaux -sur -Lausanne was - Echallens the narrow gauge railway Lausanne- Echallens - Bercher ( LEB) taken with a station in Assen in operation.
The municipality of Assen was settled very early, which is attested by the discovery of a grave mound from the Hallstatt period and of early medieval graves. The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1002 under the name Astlegus. Later, the names Asten ( 1228 ), Astyens ( 1238 ) and Astiens ( 1291 ) published. The name goes back to the Burgundian personal names Astila and means for the people of Astila.
Assen was divided in the Middle Ages under several masters. 1291 was a part of the rule Echallens, another part was under the rule Goumoëns -le- Châtel. After the Burgundian Wars, the village came in 1476 at the Bailiwick Orbe Echallens, which was under the general rule of Bern and Fribourg. The Reformation was able to prevail only very slowly in Assen. Basis of a decision of the municipality ( 1619) the place was a mixed parish. The parish church was used by both Protestants and Catholics. Even the Lausanne-based Catholics came to the Vaud Revolution in 1798 after Assen to the fair ( including Jean -Jacques Rousseau ). After the collapse of the Ancien Régime Assen belonged from 1798 to 1803 during the Helvetic Republic to the canton of Geneva, who came up then with the enactment of the Act of Mediation in the canton of Vaud. 1798 was assigned to the District Echallens.
On 1 January 2009, the neighboring community Malapalud merged with Assen after the project with more than 90 percent approval was approved in a referendum.
The church of Saint -Germain of 1228 already mentioned parish belonged after 1453 the abbey of Abondance in France. The single-nave church was built around 1300 and 1454 reshaped the front tower dates from 1717. It has Gothic wall paintings, a baroque altar from 1650-54 and a wrought-iron lattice ( 1696 ), the nave and chancel separated. The Catholic church was consecrated in 1845.
Since 2002 Colombey -les -Deux- Églises is in the French region of Champagne- Ardenne Partner Municipality of Assen.