Berlin-Friedenau station

  • Wannseebahn ( KBS 200.1 )


The train station Berlin- Friedenau is situated at the Berlin Wannsee train overground station with a central platform and two tracks. It was opened in its present form in 1891 and has an access in the so-called " greenhouse style ". Already in 1874 a first station was set up at this point. The Friedenau station is not in the same district Friedenau, but in Schöneberg. It owes its name to the fact that it is primarily the residents and visitors of the then newly founded villa colony Friedenau zugutekam during his time building. In operation Jobs Directory train station is run as BFRU.


Access to the platform is only possible at the southwestern end of the platform on the Baumeister-/Bahnhofstraße or via the Dürerplatz. A north-east exit towards Rubens road would facilitate transfers to bus line 187, but could not be implemented so far. As part of the construction of the west bypass east of Wannseebahn older tracks, storage areas and small buildings were evacuated. The output from Friedenau S- train station to Dürerplatz has since passed under the city highway.

Since the early 2000s the Friedenau station has an elevator; This leads from the platform to the platform tunnel. Mobility-impaired passengers to barrier-free hop on and off in the direction Dürerplatz here. The western entrance of the station road to 2013 equipped with an elevator.

From the northeastern end of the platform you look on the left side of the defiant patina coated studio tower of 1929-1933 acting there artist Hans Baluschek which limits the Grade II listed residence of Ceciliengärten to the south.


The trunk line Berlin -Potsdam was already taken in 1838 in operation; to 1847, the track was expanded to double track. To make keep the trains running between Berlin Steglitz and local trains of the Potsdam train also near Friedenau, here's a first station was put into operation on 1 November 1874. For this purpose, provided the merchant and landowner August Sponholz the requisite country. To connect the nearby newly created rural community Friedenau to the Wannseebahn in times of poor roads and transport links, Sponholz negotiated by the nonprofit association Friedenau and the Directorate of the Berlin- Potsdam- Magdeburg Railway company: As of November 1874 made ​​initially 14 and later 21 trains daily stop at the newly created station Friedenau, had collected 6,000 marks for the Sponholz with banks and other real estate companies. At that time there were no subways, tunnels and platform highly specified platforms. The station building was built in what was then more commonly used " Swiss -style " on the west side of the station road. It is the only of the Wannsee railway stations, which is preserved to this day in truss design.

The New Wannseebahn was then parallel to the trunk line on October 1, 1891 opening. This was a separate pair of tracks for the transport between the Potsdamer Bahnhof and Zehlendorf as well as Wannsee and Potsdam between. The transport could thus be operated independently of the long-distance transport, so a denser sequence of moves possible. As part of the four-tracked expansion of the trunk line, the intersections were replaced with underpasses (eg Rubens Road, Mountain Road, Albert Road, Hindenburgdamm, Drake Passage ) as well as platform tunnel created. Also the Friedenau station was transformed thereby, received a higher roofed platform, the platform tunnel and the " greenhouse access " from Bahnhofstrasse. The old station building lost its function and was then hired out to other users.

The trains of the Wannsee train went rarely to Potsdam, since the connection on the light rail and the Wetzlar train was faster and could be switched in Wannsee. Between 1900 and 1902, an electrical test operation was introduced on the track. Parallel and after this time the trains until 1933 with steam into the station.

From 15 May 1933, the route could be driven electrically in the regular service of the Berlin S -Bahn, so that the railcars previously procured series ET 165 ( Wannseebahn ) could be used on it. In this context, at the same time other stations ( Schöneberg, Feuerbachstraße, Sundgauer street ) were built.

After 1939, the north-south tunnel was completed in full length, you could take the S -Bahn first of Wannsee on Friedenau and the center of Berlin to Oranienburg. In the last days of the war in 1945 the north-south tunnel was flooded by blasting under the Landwehr Canal and the River Spree. Until the complete restoration of the tunnel route the trains of the Wannsee train initially had until summer 1946 Potsdam in above-ground station, then turn in the underground pickup station. It was not until November 1947 they were able to go back to Oranienburg. However, this connection had to be cut again as a result of the Wall 1961 to Frohnau. At the tunnel stations with the exception of the Friedrichstrasse station, which enabled as a border crossing access to East Berlin, the trains ran from August 1961 without stopping by.

After a strike of West Berlin employees of the Reichsbahn 1980, the Wannsee line was shut down for the passenger traffic. There were only instead of operating trips between the depot and the Wannsee Anhalt station to the trains of the remaining north-south routes Heiligensee - to replace Lichtenrade / Lichterfelde South can.

Only after the takeover of West Berlin S -Bahn by the Berlin Senate on 9 January 1984 the route was reopened after extensive renovation work at the stations on 1 February 1985. At this time also awoke the Friedenau station from its slumber. The said opening date was just to keep because it has been worked through in winter 1984/1985, despite freezing temperatures; some work had to be repeated later. A shift of the opening came, however, in view of the elections to the Berlin House of Representatives on March 10, 1985 out of the question, since the S-Bahn reactivation met in the public eye and became an election issue.

Currently keep on Friedenau station S- Bahn trains S1 ​​, operating between Oranienburg and Wannsee. During construction on the rail mid-2000s, the S1 was extended for some time to Potsdam.

The environment of the station at the entrance of the station road has changed for the better in recent years. There is a popular local pub with beer garden at the diagonally opposite corner Sponholz Baumeisterstraße. Right next to the entrance was a small cafe ( with beer garden at the railway line and road cafe on the square ). The old station building from 1874 was renovated and used since 2004 for exhibitions and small concerts. In addition, a small playground was opened near the railway in early 2008. On the other side is access to the Dürerplatz regularly a weekly market.


The station is served by the S1 line of the Berlin S-Bahn. In about 300 meters from the BVG stop Rubensstraße / S Friedenau is the bus number 187