Berlin-Hermsdorf station

  • Northern Railway ( KBS 200.1 )


Today's station Berlin- Hermsdorf is a railway station of the Berlin S -Bahn to the Northern Railway. It is located in the center of the hamlet Hermsdorf ( Reinickendorf district ). The nearest railway station to the north is Frohnau, the next station to the south is Waidmannslust.

The station has an access -in the form of a pedestrian underpass with two-sided inputs at both ends. The north-eastern entrance is the main entrance to the reception building. This is the station square, here are bus stops, bicycle parking, a taxi place and in close proximity, a P & R car park. Another P & R car park is set up on the former route of the mainline tracks. The north-western exit leads to the Max Beckmann Square, the southwestern on the Fellbacher place. Both sites are located on the Heinsestraße, the shopping street of the hamlet Hermsdorf. The southern pedestrian underpass opens in the east to the Glienicker road. Two elevators in the northern pedestrian tunnels allow barrier-free access to the platform.


The station was opened under the name Hermsdorf (Mark) as ground-level station of the Northern Railway on 10 July 1877. Initially, only long-distance trains sailed the route, a first suburban steam trains developed around the year 1900. Since emerged in Hermsdorf at this time extended uptown and developed the site became one of the largest along the route, the Highway Maintenance persisted nonetheless. The combined operation between the two types of trains proved, however, as a permanent problem, which is why in 1908 the four-tracked expansion of the line was decided to Hermsdorf. Between 1909 and 1910, the work was carried out to high lapping the track; most stations were completed by 1912.

Since the station should be moved to Hermsdorf further north in order to develop the residential area better made ​​it necessary to continue to use the old platform. Even as the work was done, also the continuation of the suburban railways was decided to Frohnau where a more residential area was built. Under these circumstances, the work has continued until April 1913. The new station had two central platforms for suburban services connected to it a three-pronged reversing facility and a small train yard.

End of the 1910s, the Prussian government decided to electrification of Berlin's three northern routes - Szczecin, Kremmener and Northern Railway - the latter to Hermsdorf. First, the AC operating on overhead line has been given preference. In 1922, the Free State but decided to favor the DC operation via lateral busbar. In addition, the electrical equipment should be expanded up to Oranienburg. At first the Szczecin railway on August 8, 1924 electric operation - the current S- Bahn - taking photos, the Northern Railway followed the healthy well - Hermsdorf - Birkenwerder section on June 5, 1925 The remaining piece to Oranienburg followed on October 3 of the same. year. As the suburban trains on schedule wrong at least until Birkenwerder, the long-distance traffic stop was omitted, the platform was removed in 1933.

Since the Berlin city limits on 1 October 1920 as a result of the expanded Greater Berlin Act to Frohnau behind, followed by 1937/1938 was renamed the still valid name Berlin- Hermsdorf.

After 1945, the section Wilhelmsruh birch Werder was reduced to a respective track for long-distance and commuter train. Since along the route no evasions were available, the trains were initially run only every hour. In 1948 the clock was compressed by two Dodge in Waidmannslust and Frohnau to 20 minutes Hermsdorf other hand, remained single track. After 1952 also was the long-distance transport in the Berlin area, since the route was now in the western part of the city, abandoned, the tracks were not utilized for the expansion of the S -Bahn route.

Despite the shrinking passenger numbers due to the onset after 1961 tram boycott of the operation was maintained along the north runway and even continued after the kingdom workers strike in 1980. Only with the acquisition of operating rights by the SNB on 9 January 1984, the short-term closure. As the passengers spoke out after the takeover by massive protests for an operation, the traffic was taken up again by Frohnau already on 1 October 1984. However, this only lasted until May, 1986, the route was subsequently decommissioned, demolished and rebuilt double track again. The also disused freight station was put into operation after the work is not back. On 22 December 1986, the work was completed. After German reunification, the traffic on the West Berlin border was taken up to Oranienburg again.

Other systems

North of the station is the former Power Works Hermsdorf. The listed building was designed by Richard Brademann and built in the years 1922-1925. Immediately south of the control computer - building for the electronic interlocking Waidmannslust was built in 2011. East of the railway track is the site of the former goods station Hermsdorf. This is now cleared no longer in operation and largely. On a part of the area along the elm street the establishment of a retirement and nursing home is planned. From 1933 disused platform B, east of the present platform, the stairways are still preserved. The northern exit now serves as access to the P & R car park.


In addition to the S- Bahn line S1 bus numbers 107, 326 and N25, the Berlin public transport and the buses stop 806 and 809 of the upper Havel transport company at the train station.