Berlin-Wilhelmsruh station

  • Berliner Northern Railway ( KBS 200.1, 200.85 )
  • Heidekrautbahn (TT)


Today's station Berlin- Wilhelmsruh, formerly Reinickendorf ( Rosenthalerstraße ) and train Reinickendorf- Rosenthal, is a railway station of the Berlin S -Bahn at the Berlin Northern Railway. It is located in the Berlin district of Reinickendorf district of the same at the border of the district Wilhelmsruh, which now belongs to the district of Pankow. Nearest train station to the north is the current station Wittenau, the next station to the south is the beautiful wood station.

Northeast of the station of the Northern Railway, and thus on the territory of modern hamlet Wilhelmsruh, was on 21 May 1901, the Reinickendorf Love Walde large Schönebecker railway, the railway station later Niederbarnimer opened. He was the Berlin terminus of Heidekrautbahn.

  • 2.1 After 1961
  • 2.2 future

History of the railway station of the Northern Railway

The station was opened on July 10, 1877 under the name Station Rosenthal and served to open the resort Rosenthal. He was initially a running in a very simple way needs breakpoint for suburban services between healthy well and Oranienburg. This was then called "omnibus traffic ".

By the growth of the suburban single-track railway in northern precincts of Berlin was increasingly becoming a bottleneck. Between 1887 and 1888, " advised the KED [ Royal Railway Directorate ] Berlin new, only operational purposes serving crossing stations a [! ]: At Reinickendorf ( Rosenthalerstraße ) ... [! ] "

The timetable change on 1 June 1891, the Northern Railway between healthy well and Oranienburg is expanded to double track. At this time, ie, the station Reinickendorf ( Rosenthalerstraße ). However, other terms are from the period before the year 1883 provides: Reinickendorf- Rosenthalerstraße and road to Rosenthal. (Distances from Stettin Station ) "... Pankow 4.70 km, 5.90 km Schönholz, Reinickendorf 7.40 km, 10.25 km Dalldorf ...": the Official Journal of the Royal Railway Directorate Berlin from 1883, the following stations are called - presumably, is merely a confusion here. The "road map of Berlin's northern railway " from July 10, 1877 indicates the order of the stations with Prince Avenue, Reinickendorf, Rosenthal and Dalldorf.

Since October 1, 1891 breakpoint has become the rule stop after it has been previously performed only as required maintenance. After a decision by the Royal Railway Directorate Berlin on 18 March 1893, the station was renamed in Reinickendorf -Rosenthal.

On April 30, 1899, called by then mostly road to Rosenthalstraße got at the station the name Copenhagen street.

The continuing increase in passenger numbers of suburban trains in 1907 were 7.05 million travelers, made ​​the four-tracked expansion of the Northern Railway, separately for long-distance and suburban services, even north of the station Schönholz -Reinickendorf required. The track was laid on a dam to allow a level- free crossing of the road traffic. The work between Reinickendorf- Rosenthal and Wittenau began in 1908. " The newly built suburban stations in Reinickendorf- Rosenthal, ... have been arrested on December 20, 1910 ... in operation. Your platforms had on the suburban lines now usual height of 76 cm above top of rail ... Special reception buildings were not built on these stations, but based on a proven pattern once again and placed between the tracks reception halls that took up all the facilities required for the clearance of suburban travelers ".

Thus, the station received its classic Berlin S-Bahn - face he reserves to the 21st century. An access structure was doing out only at the southern end of the platform, to the Copenhagen road built. The two inputs show parallel to the road direction Wilhelmsruh and direction Reinickendorf.

From 1924 to 1960, the station had a connection to the Berlin tram that Reinickendorf Wilhelmsruh Association.

June 5, 1925, the suburban stretch of healthy well was electrified to Birkenwerder and the electric traction was added initially with three " electric train pairs ". The term S -Bahn was only introduced a few years later.

1929, the number of departing travelers here increased over the years 1912 /13 to 1,180,000 1.682 million.

On 3 October 1937, the station received its present name: Berlin Wilhelmsruh. At this time belonged to the district Wilhelmsruh to wholesale Reinickendorf district of Berlin. This only changed in 1938 by a land swap between Pankow and Reinickendorf.

After 1945

While in the demo days after the end of the Second World War, the second mainline track of the Northern Railway was removed in the summer of 1945, the S-Bahn station kept both tracks of the suburban route. The second S-Bahn track north of the station was removed to Borgdorf. The end of the war interrupted suburban traffic on the Northern Railway, was first recorded between June 6 and June 11, 1945 with two pairs of trains locomotive-hauled again. As of August 18, 1945 were able to then again electric tram - trains over Berlin Wilhelmsruh every hour, first to Berlin- Hermsdorf run. From 19 November 1945, the S-Bahn operation to Wilhelmsruh only in 30 -minute intervals was again double track, however due to lack of crossing opportunities of the northerly route section. It was not until 9 May 1946, a 20 -minute intervals was offered again.

The long-distance and freight traffic on the Northern Railway on Wilhelmsruh station was politically difficult by the increasingly prominent border. On 1 July 1950 as the German Reichsbahn took over the operation of the Niederbarnimer railroad, they led their trains on the (private ) station Wilhelmsruh and the siding to the freight depot Schönholz on the north runway on to Stettin Station, which initially helps to reduce the S- trains led. The timetable change on 18 May 1952, the passenger trains on the Berlin part of the Northern Railway has been set since the Stettin station was closed. The Heidekrautbahn ended again in Wilhelmsruh. From September 1950, the northerly freight station Hermsdorf was not allowed ( as yet) be operated from Oranienburg ago, but only by Schönholz from.

While at this time was omitted the ( at Wilhelmsruh station by driving ) distance transport, the use of the S -Bahn increased dramatically.

Since 1953, wrong on the Northern Railway on weekdays so-called runner trains by the S-Bahn, which did not stop at the stations of the Western sectors. For several members of state-owned enterprises of the exit and later the Durchfahrung the Western sectors " for security reasons" was prohibited. On the Northern Railway morning two trains of Oranienburg drove back into town and evening. The completers wrong until May 3, 1958 They were then replaced by locomotive-hauled trains between Oranienburg and Bahnhof Lichtenberg and Ostbahnhof ( the S- Bahn connection Hohen Neuendorf -. Blankenburg on the Berlin outer ring ( BAR) was not until November 9, 1961 put into operation ).

Since 1948, the day a sequence of moves in 20 -minute intervals was offered the mid-1950s, no longer met the requirements. The German Reichsbahn therefore tried to build a 10 -minute intervals by, extended the amplifier sections, which ended in Schönholz to Hermsdorf. Due to the single track north of Wilhelmsruh had to be shortened for the travel times. While on the S-Bahn routes at that time a maximum of 60 km / h were allowed, the speed limit from Schönholz to 70 km / h between Wilhelmsruh and Waidmannslust to 80 km / h was increased. Neither cars nor power left to such a power increase, so that the German Reichsbahn this " experiment" on May 26, 1955 - had to stop - after only four days. This was followed by announcements, build the track back two tracks (initially to Borgdorf, then to Frohnau or Hermsdorf ) - but nothing was it realized. Previously, in April 1955, already the mainline route to Oranienburg before Birkenwerder was interrupted. Here the curve of Birkenwerder was erected the Berlin outer ring. The timetable change on 28 May 1961, 10 -minute intervals to Berlin Wilhelmsruh was introduced.

In 1960, the two - last trains running only from Reinickendorf ago to sector boundary at the station - set tram lines.

After the construction of the Berlin Wall, the S-Bahn trains ran (up Frohnau ) continue as pulling group 1 at 20- minute intervals. The location of the S -Bahn station directly at the sector border now shows a significant impact, the eponymous district is inaccessible to the east. For West Berlin train station is rather uninteresting, because the next houses half a mile south, and, moreover, behind the Kremmener railway ( S-Bahn station Reinickendorf, now Alt- Reinickendorf) lie.

In the late 1960s led a construction project of Berlin (West) to develop the Mark Brandenburg district to a change in operations. When building a new bridge over the Schorfheide Road (connection to the road on the north ditch ), although the abutments were designed for four tracks, but built only two superstructures. Bley reported on page 86: " At least since the construction of this new bridge perverted freight trains between Schönholz and Hermsdorf on the S -Bahn track " - that is, a bridge superstructure was available for the remote railroad track, but not assigned to a track. The still existing mainline track in the area of the station Wilhelmsruh was no longer used. Another bridge construction project in 1975 on Wilhelmsruher dam, so the Wittenau S-Bahn station ( Northern Railway ), did not change for the station described.

During the strike, the West Berlin Reich Bahner the traffic between the 17th and 28th September rested in 1980. However, the S -Bahn on Wilhelmsruh was subsequently resumed. Almost three years later, with the adoption of "Western" S -Bahn by the SNB on 9 January 1984, the route to Frohnau and thus the Wilhelmsruh station was decommissioned. The Berlin Senate had the intention of long-term taking a trip to Frohnau again. The pressure of population has led to a rapid re-commissioning so that the distance and the Wilhelmsruh station on 1 October 1984 was put into operation again. The track north of the station was initially single track and double track in 1986 was expanded to allow a 10 -minute intervals. The station itself was not affected by this development because he was already double-tracked. As of August 18, 1986 then the 10 -minute clock was introduced, initially to Wittenau ( Northern Railway ), towards the end also to Frohnau.

The fall of the Berlin Wall had not initially affect the station. On 7 April 1990, the border crossing Copenhagen street was opened, however, the station continued to access is only possible from the south side. On 31 May 1992, closing the gap on the West Berlin border between Frohnau and Hohen Neuendorf, for the Wilhelmsruh station remained at 10 -minute intervals. End of May 1995, it was introduced ( at 20- minute intervals ), which operates from / to Waidmannslust an additional traction system. Along with a travel time reduction of the trains to Oranienburg was a situation similar to that of 1955, except that you, the "experiment" is not broke, but to get through schedule changes in the handle was looking for.

The station was renovated in 2000 and 2001, and since 2001 also the northern entrance is accessible again.

For 2013, the installation of an elevator is planned. The work began in September.

The further expansion of the station and the route are based on when provided for in the Federal Transport Infrastructure Plan reconstruction of the mainline tracks is done, an appointment for this but there is not yet.

History of the railway station of Heidekrautbahn

The station was opened in 1901 and subsequently expanded steadily. During 1905-1906, the Northern Railway was placed on a dam remained the station of Heidekrautbahn at ground level. On November 14, 1907, the track connection went Schönholz in operation. She had become necessary due to the dam construction of the Northern Railway and solved the direct siding by a long ramp down to the high freight station Schönholz -Reinickendorf ( the later Berlin- Schönholz Station ) from.

After the construction of the coal- electricity plants by 1907, the station also received a siding for this factory.

On 3 October 1937, the station was renamed to Berlin Wilhelmsruh ( Niederbarnimer railway) ( or shortened Berlin Wilhelmsruh ( NBE) ). Several occasions he was also known as Berlin- Wilhelmsruh ( KLBF ). On March 21, 1939, the station received a small private reception building.

In 1950, the station has two platform tracks, two Aufstellgleise to the S -Bahn - dam out six through sidings possessed east of the platform and a charging road with head and side ramp. Furthermore, two (or just one ) engine shed at the northern end of the station.

From July 1, 1950 to May 18, 1952, the features of the NBE went to Stettin Station and North Station as the terminus. After the closure of the North Station trains ended up back in Berlin Wilhelmsruh ( NBE).

After 1961

After the blockade of West Berlin, the building of the Berlin Wall on 13 August 1961, the railway station on November 9, 1961, decommissioned in 1962 and relatively quickly razed to the ground because he was in the border strip. The passenger and freight service between Wilhelmsruh and Rosenthal has been discontinued, interrupted the siding after Schönholz.

On 24 March 1962, the German Reichsbahn informed the Niederbarnimer Eisenbahn AG (based in Berlin- Wilhelmsruh Fontanestr. 31) on the clearance work of railway facilities " a) of the reception building and b ) of the engine shed " and adds: " The implementation to a) has already occurred. The object to b ) is still in progress ". on a memorandum dated July 7, 1962 Photo of the platform can still be seen to this point, so only the reception building on the Copenhagen street was demolished. The photograph documents at the same time the boundary line: While the train station on the railway embankment is already on the Pankow area, is one of the right angles thereto extending Copenhagen street on a few meters to Reinickendorf.

Until the establishment of a rail link for the VEB Bergmann -Borsig from the north around 1970 handover trains were run with freight wagons on the Wilhelmsruh station to the factory.

By the later expansion of border installations in this area and the remaining tracks and facilities of the station were cleared, but are still remnants of the station between wild vegetation to be found, such as low Bahnsteigumfassungen and short rail residues. The connecting track to the south to the freight depot Schönholz was located directly in front of the border in the French sector and therefore remained ( unused ).

12 August 2011 was inaugurated by the NEB on Wilhelmsruh S-Bahn station, a commemorative stele, which provides information on the history and future of Heidekrautbahn.


The Niederbarnimer Railway plans to re-establish the distance from the Mark Brandenburg district to the station Berlin- Wilhelmsruh. However, contrary to the original course of the station is not at ground level, but emerge anew in an embankment at the height of the Northern Railway and in the form of a side platform, accessible via a ramp from the northern station forecourt as well as a staircase from the Wall Trail. The trains of the Heidekrautbahn can then be routed back to the station Berlin- Wilhelmsruh, with connections to the subway. The state of Berlin supports this project, the re-establishment is in the city development plan transport included .. The associated zoning decision was published in early 2011. Open is particularly still financing the construction as well as an order of the associated public transport services by the states of Berlin and Brandenburg.

After reconstruction of the mainline tracks of the northern runway, a transition to the track rails of the Deutsche Bahn is south of the platform provided above, a turnout. This would allow for the continuation of the passenger traffic of the heather train to the railway station Berlin- healthy well.

Border demarcation

The border between the two stations are parallel appear clear, since between the lying on Reinickendorfer area S-Bahn station and the former railway station of Heidekrautbahn in Pankow nor the wall and a Grenzweg, today " Berlin Wall " was.


The S-Bahn station is served by lines S1 and S85 of the Berlin S-Bahn. There is an interchange with bus line 122 of the Berlin Transport Authority.

Pictures of Berlin-Wilhelmsruh station