Capdenac, sometimes Capdenac -le-Haut, is a southern French village with 1084 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Lot in the Midi-Pyrénées region. The place is one of the "Most Beautiful Villages in France ".
Capdenac is located in the countryside of Quercy on a 100 meter high hill above the river Lot in the southwestern foothills of the Massif Central about seven kilometers ( route ) to the southeast of Figeac.
Mid-19th century the town had about 1,600 inhabitants. As a result of the phylloxera crisis and the mechanization of agriculture, the population in the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century has steadily declined. After the minimum value of 1962 but is again observed a slight increase.
On the slopes you can still see some vegetable gardens, but playing the revenue from tourism (hotels, restaurants ) nowadays the most important role in the economic life of the community. The small, somewhat remote place is rarely crowded.
The statue of a goddess among them in 1973 - In the surrounding Neolithic and Bronze Age finds have been made (?). In 1866, a Celtic coin find with over 3,000 individual pieces was made in a clay pot in the excavation of a small cave in the garden of the then mayor - the most coins were sold and melted down later; only a few copies are located in the Numismatic Collection ( Cabinet des Médailles ) of the Paris National Library ( Bibliothèque nationale de France ). The three sides steep altitude was to defend well and so it is not surprising that in Capdenac a Celtic hill settlement ( oppidum ) existed, which is identified by some researchers with the ancient Uxellodunum which v. of Caesar in 51 BC was captured as the last Gallic city. Even Roman remains ( fibulae, etc.) were discovered. From 477-530 the hills of Capdenac was until their expulsion by the Franks under Visigoth control. The 8th century saw the advance of the Saracens and the resistance of the Carolingians. Legend has it that Gerald, founder of the famous medieval abbey from Aurillac to have 900 performed a miracle in the castle of Capdenac the year. During the Albigensian Crusades (1209-1229) Capdenac twice ( 1209 and 1214 ) was besieged by the troops of Simon de Montfort. The Hundred Years' War (1337-1453) the town was besieged by the English. In the early 16th century, the barony of Capdenac to possession of Galiot de Genouillac belonged; in the late 16th century many residents sympathized with Protestantism.
- With a few exceptions ( city gates, corner, window and door frames ), the entire place is uniformly built from largely unprocessed rubble.
- The mostly dating from the 15th century, traditional fortifications ( Ramparts ) from Capdenac together with a mighty crenellated tower ( donjon ) have already been recognized in 1911 as a monument historique.
- A likely already in antiquity carved by human hands in the rock source version is recognized as a monument historique since 2003.
- A somewhat primitive ' seeming monolithic stone cross with crucifix from 1667 is also registered as a monument historique since 1911.
- The single-nave parish church ( Église Saint -Jean Baptiste ) dates from the 18th century.