Dos Hermanas (Spanish: two sisters) is a Spanish city in the province of Seville, in the autonomous region of Andalusia. Geographically it is located in the valley of the Guadalquivir River, 12 km south of the capital city of Seville.
Internationally known Dos Hermanas is by the renowned chess tournament, which takes place every year here since 1989.
Dos Hermanas has 129 719 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013), the number of which, due to the proximity to Seville, is constantly growing. The city area covers 159.10 km ², with an average height of 42 m above sea level. The average annual temperature is 18.7 ° C. sunny climate
Dos Hermanas optimal traffic- favorable ( the start of the A-4 motorway to Cadiz, train Madrid - Cadiz ) and benefits from the infrastructure of Seville. The emerging industry has the previously determined olive and orange cultivation long since supplanted as the most important economic sector.
Mayor of the city is the socialist Francisco Toscano Sánchez ( PSOE).
Residents are called " Nazarenes " (Spanish nazarenos ) after the two sisters Elvira and Estefanía Nazareno, who gave the city its name. (Spanish dos hermanas = two sisters). According to legend, they found after the conquest of Seville in 1248 by Fernando III. in a grotto, a bell and a picture of St. Anne and founded a church in this place. Is secured History, that they were the sisters of Gonzalo Nazareno, which this area in land distribution after the reconquest (see Reconquista ) was awarded.
Dos Hermanas in 1404 was first mentioned. In 1679 it became the Margraviate collected (approx. 1,000 inhabitants).
During the Spanish Civil War, the regional armed forces supported the military coup of 17 July 1936. Immediately after the takeover began the military putsch end with the liquidation of the opposition. At the time of the coup, the city was ruled by a coalition of socialists, communists and anarchists. The Mayor Antonio Muñoz Benítez was liquidated together with Councillors of the left coalition in the early days of the coup. At the cemetery Dos Hermanas is a mass grave with approximately 300 people shot. On a farm near the city, in Los Merinales, there was one of the greatest of Franco's concentration camps, were the prisoners of the Republican Army, interned until the end of the Spanish Civil War, in 1939. The prisoners were subjected to a brutal regime of forced laborers. Organized in forced labor battalions, they were used to build a branch canal from the Guadalquivir River. Around the village Dos Hermanas were near the storage lot Merinales more stock; the stock Corchuela, Sandy, Torreblanca, Valdezorras and Fuente del Rey.
1937, during the Spanish Civil War, 3,000 acres of the township were assigned by a government decree to the municipality of Seville. Today Dos Hermanas negotiating the return of the territory.
During the 1960s, a development plan led to rapid population growth. On July 24, 1975, the town was declared a city.
On the west of the urban area in El COPERO is a small military airfield of the Spanish Army ( Fuerzas Aero Móviles del Ejército de Tierra ( FAMET ), the Base El COPERO. Here lie the Cougar helicopter Batallón de Helicópteros de Maniobra núm. IV ( BHELMA IV).
In the area of Dos Hermanas town is located south of the hamlet of Los Palacios at 37 ° 12'35 " N 5 ° 55'33 " W a transmission system for the dissemination of the program of RNE - 1 with a 244 meter high guyed radio mast. The sender of this plant, which is operated at the frequency of 684 kHz with a transmitter power of 300 kW, can be easily received in the night hours in Germany.
Chess tournament in Dos Hermanas
List of winners of the Grand Master Tournament