Giuliano da Maiano

Giuliano da (partly also because written Giuliano Majano, * 1432 in Maiano (now part of the municipality of Fiesole); † October 17, 1490 in Naples) was an Italian Maiano architect, sculptor and cabinetmaker.


He was born in 1432 in Maiano near Fiesole, near Florence Giuliano di Leonardo ( or Nardo ) d' Antonio. The date of birth is considered to be backed up since 1435 recorded in the documents of the congregation was three years old and declared in 1480 as a 48 -year-old. He grew up first in Maiano in the district of San Martino on the elder brother of Benedetto da Maiano and Giovanni da Maiano (also known as Giovanni da Maiano I called, * 1439, † 1478) and his three sisters, Angelica, Costanza and Mechera ( also called Domenica ). His grandfather was Antonio di Leonardo, his mother's name was Diana and his father Leonardo d' Antonio (also called Nardo d' Antonio) was a local carpenter. Around the year 1440 or shortly afterwards the family moved with the brothers of his father, Giovanni, Ottaviano and Leonardo d' Antonio, to Florence in the Via dell'Ariento near the Basilica di San Lorenzo di Firenze. In 1454 he married the fourteen- year-old Maddalena (Lena ) Finiguerra, the sister of Maso Finiguerra, with whom he had three daughters ( Francesca, Ginevra and Lucrezia ). 1465, the family bought a new property in Via San Gallo, also located near San Lorenzo. Land purchases in Prato took place in 1472, 1474 and 1477. He died on October 17, 1490 in Naples, and was buried in the Chiesa dei Santi Severino e Sossio in Naples. Today, its fame is mainly from the mention in the Vite dei più eccellenti pittori, Scultori e architetti of Giorgio Vasari, his skills as a decorator of style inlay, as a timber farmer and as an organizer, who coordinated the abilities of his brothers and his staff as Neri di Bicci.

Artistic work

Giuliano da Maiano first enjoyed his training as a carpenter in his father's workshop, with his brother Ottaviano on the corner of Via de ' Servi (now Via dei Servi ) and Via del Castellaccio led in Florence this, then he learned architecture at Francione ( born as Francesco di Giovanni, * 1425 in Florence, † July 25, 1495 ibid ), where he became acquainted with the techniques of Filippo Brunelleschi. Since 1449 he has been out legname in the guild of the Arte dei Maestri di Pietra e ( stone and wood art ). With Neri di Bicci 1455 he began a collaboration that lasted eighteen years and has been documented in detail in the Ricordanze of Bicci. In the years 1460 to 1468 worked as Maiano at the Cathedral of San Gimignano, where he developed the Cathedral and the Cappella di Santa Fina built. From 1462 to 1472 he was House architect of the Pazzi in Florence. For the family of the Strozzi, he expanded from 1462 to 1465, the ground floor of the Palazzo dello Strozzino, which was begun by Michelozzo di Bartolommeo. In addition to artists such as Francesco di Giorgio, Giuliano da Sangallo, Donato Bramante, Baccio Pontelli and Andrea Sansovino he took off in 1468 on the expansion of the Santuario della Santa Casa in Loreto part.

The Duomo of Faenza began as Maiano 1474; However, the cathedral was not until 1515, after the death of Giuliano, completed and consecrated until 1581. Then he designed in the Palazzo Recanati venieri for the Cardinal Giacopo Antonio Venier. In Siena, he began on March 15, 1473 on behalf of the Spannocchi Ambrogio (also called Palazzo Spannocchieschi, about the beginning of 1476 completed ) Palazzo Spannocchi, a building on the right side adjoins the Palazzo Salimbeni and that of the bank Monte dei Paschi today di Siena is utilized.

As of April 2, 1477 he was architect of the Cathedral of Florence Cathedral, but he lost this post on 2 May in 1488 by too frequent absence of his rival Giuliano da Sangallo. Already on December 15, 1488 he was inducted into its old function again, which he retained until his death.

From 1484 to Giuliano da Maiano held on recommendation of Lorenzo I de ' Medici in Naples where he was commissioned by Alfonso II, to build in Sicily, Villa Poggio Reale. He also built in Naples the city gates Porta Capuana and Porta Nolana and in the Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi, the Cappella Tolosa. He died in 1490 in Naples, where he brothers Ippolito ( Polito ) and Pietro del Donzello, both from Florence left his workshop.

Works (selection)

  • Arezzo, Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie: Cloister of the Abbey
  • Begun construction of a new sanctuary, completed in 1486 and a year later: Bibbiena, Santuario di Santa Maria del Sasso.
  • Bucine, Badia di San Pietro a Ruoti: Incoronazione della Vergine ( Coronation of the Virgin, 1472, with Neri di Bicci )
  • Forli e Terra del Sole, Rocca di Montepoggiolo: Finishing the fortress from 1482 to 1490
  • Faenza, Cathedral of San Pietro Apostolo, 1474
  • Florence Cathedral of Florence: Dekorazionen the sacristy with his brother Benedetto da Maiano ( 1463-1465 ), architect of the Cathedral 1477-1490
  • Florence, Palazzo Antinori: Sculptures and Dekorazionen (ca. 1458-1461 )
  • Florence, Palazzo Pazzi ( Quaratesi ): Sculptures and Dekorazionen, restructuring of the building ( 1462-1472 ) and the Pazzi Chapel
  • Florence, Palazzo dello Strozzino: Dekorazionen and window designs ( mullioned windows 1456 )
  • Florence, Palazzo Vecchio: Sculptures and Dekorazionen in Sala del Consiglio ( Dugento, coffered ceilings )
  • Sala dei Gigli
  • Sala dell'Udienza
  • Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi: Cappella Tolosa
  • City gates Porta Capuana and Porta Nolana