Swabia in Bavaria is both a district and a county. Since it covers a large part of the Swabian settlement area, which now belongs to Bavaria, he is commonly known as Bavarian Swabia. Administrative headquarters of the district and at the same time the seat of government of the district of Augsburg is. Swabia is the only part of the medieval duchy of Swabia, which still bears the name of Swabia, while the other parts are associated with the present-day territories of Baden-Württemberg, Upper Bavaria, France (Alsace ), Austria and Switzerland. This results in everyday life often confusion with Swabia Baden- Württemberg, also hence the name " Bavarian Swabia " is widespread.
- 2.1 Independent cities before the district reform
- 2.2 counties before the district reform
- 9.1 County Council 9.1.1 composition
- 9.1.2 District Presidents tags
The districts in Bavaria are self-governing bodies, to which several groups have come together. The circles of a district each belong to a same government district, the jurisdiction of the district government (often only short- Government ) as a state agent authority. Unlike the district administration offices, the same state and municipal authority ( " Janus-faced " ), exist for them in Bavaria with the district administrations and the governments of separate authorities.
The administrative region of Swabia comprises four county-level cities and ten counties:
Overview of the largest cities
- Aichach- Friedberg
- Augsburg district
- District of Dillingen a der Donau
- District of Donau -Ries
- District of Lindau (Bodensee)
- Neu- Ulm
Former county names:
- The Aichach- Friedberg said in the transitional period from 1 July 1972 to April 30, 1973 the district of Augsburg -Ost.
- The district of Augsburg was in the transitional period from 1 July 1972 to April 30, 1973 the district of Augsburg -West.
- The district of Donau-Ries said in the transitional period from 1 July 1972 to April 30, 1973 County Nördlingen Donauwörth. The seat of the county government was located in Nördlingen.
- Günzburg was in the transitional period from 1 July 1972 to April 30, 1973 Günzkreis.
- The district of Neu-Ulm was in the transitional period from 1 July 1972 to April 30, 1973 Iller circle.
- The county Ostallgaeu said in the transitional period from 1 July 1972 to 30 April 1973 county market Oberndorf.
- Unterallgäu said in the transitional period from 1 July 1972 to April 30, 1973 County Mindelheim.
Structure before the district reform
Before the county reform on 1 July 1972, the government district had ten county-level cities and 20 counties:
Independent cities before the district reform
- Dillingen on the Danube (today district town in the district of Dillingen an der Donau)
- Günzburg (today district town in the district of Günzburg )
- Kempten ( Allgäu)
- Lindau ( today district town in the district of Lindau)
- Neuburg an der Donau (today district town in the district of Neuburg -Schrobenhausen )
- Neu-Ulm (today district town in the district of Neu -Ulm )
- Nördlingen (now district town in the district of Donau -Ries )
Counties before the district reform
- Augsburg district
- District of Dillingen an der Donau
- County Donauwörth (now part of LKR Danube -Ries )
- Friedberg County (now part of LKR Aichach -Friedberg )
- County feet (now part of LKR Ostallgaeu )
- County Illertissen ( split today, the southern half went to the LKR Unterallgaeu, the northern of the LKR Neu-Ulm )
- County Kaufbeuren (now part of LKR Ostallgaeu )
- County Kempten ( Allgäu) (now part of LKR Upper Allgäu)
- County Krumbach ( Schwaben) (now part of LKR Gunzburg )
- District of Lindau (Bodensee)
- County Market Oberndorf (now part of LKR Ostallgaeu )
- Memmingen County (now part of LKR Unterallgaeu )
- Mindelheim County (now part of LKR Unterallgaeu )
- District of Neuburg an der Donau (now largely part of LKR Neuburg -Schrobenhausen (Upper Bavaria) )
- Neu- Ulm
- County Nördlingen (now part of LKR Danube -Ries )
- County Schwabmunchen (now part of LKR Augsburg)
- Sonthofen County (now part of LKR Upper Allgäu)
- County Wertingen ( split today, the southern half went to the LKR Augsburg, the northern of the LKR Dillingen )
1803 Baierische province of Swabia, was formed under a regional office in Ulm from Swabian territories that fell through the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss to Bavaria. Parts were, however, only two years later Bavarian with the Peace of Pressburg. In the new Kingdom of Bavaria, these parts were in 1808 in three circles divided (Upper Danube Circle, Lech circle, Iller circle), which were united in 1817 to the upper Danube circle with administrative headquarters of Augsburg. In 1837 it was renamed in accordance with the Duchy of Swabia, whose former eastern part of it forms, in district Swabia and Neuburg, where the judicial district of Neuburg an der Donau newly came to the district, the judicial districts Aichach, Friedberg and Rain but again fell back to Upper Bavaria. Rain came in 1879 back to the circle. In 1900 the district office Schwabmunchen was built by splitting the district office Augsburg as part of a reorganization of the districts. In 1929 the district office Zusmarshausen was dissolved. The communities of this district office were then assigned to the district offices of Augsburg and Wertingen. 1938, the name was shortened to Swabia and Neuburg Swabia. In 1939, the district offices "rich uniform " renamed counties. In 1940, the city Donauwörth lost the status of an immediate city. In 1944 the county of Friedberg Regierungsbezirk Oberbayern about the administrative region of Swabia. The district of Lindau in 1945 but incorporated as part of the French zone of occupation from the district of, in 1955 a referendum again. During the time it was the historical German license plate FBY for " French - Bavaria". 1972 attacked the city and the main part of the district of Neuburg ad Danube and the Fuchstalgemeinden the former county Kaufbeuren of Upper Bavaria and the main part of the former county Aichach Swabia.
The landscape Bavarian Swabia is located in southwest Bavaria, ranging from Ries in the north to the Bavarian Allgäu in the south. In the West, Bavarian Swabia is largely limited by the Iller, south partly by the Lake and to the east by the Lech River and through the Lechrain. It is bordered to the north by Middle Franconia, on the east by Upper Bavaria, in the south Tyrol and Vorarlberg in Austria, to the canton of St. Gallen in Lake Constance in Switzerland and to the west of Baden- Württemberg.
( from north to south ): → Biogeophysical main units of Germany
- Ries as part of the Swabian Keuper- Lias - country
- Swabian Alb
- Donau-Iller -Lech - plate
- Southern foothills of the Alps
- Swabian- Bavarian Alpine
- Northern Limestone Alps
- Western Forests
- Upper Swabia
- Schwäbisches Donaumoos
- Alpsee ( in feet )
- Alpsee ( at Immenstadt )
- Autobahnsee in the city area of Augsburg
- Ilsesee in the city area of Augsburg
- Kuhsee in the city area of Augsburg
- Lake Constance
- Niedersonthofener lake
- Swan lake
- Stempflesee in the city area of Augsburg
- Textile industry
- Chemical industry
The electricity is provided in the district, in contrast to the rest of Bavaria, by RWE AG.
- A 7
- A 8
- A 96
- A 980
- B 2
- B 10
- B 12
- B 16
- B 17
- B 18
- B 19
- B 25
- B 28
- B 31
- B 32
- B 300
- B 308
- B 309
- B 310
- B 466
- B 472
Important railway lines
- Augsburg- Ingolstadt Aichach-
- Augsburg- Buchloe
- Buchloe -Memmingen
- Augsburg- Geltendorf -Weilheim
- Augsburg -Nürnberg
- Donauwörth- Nördlingen - Aalen
- Günzburg- Krumbach Mindelheim
- Kempten -Reutte to Garmisch -Partenkirchen
- Munich -Augsburg
- Augsburg- Ulm
- Munich - Buchloe -Kempten -Lindau
- Türk Home Bad Wörishofen
- Ulm- Günzburg- Donauwörth- Regensburg
- Ulm -Memmingen -Kempten
- Immenstadt - Oberstdorf
- Danube cycle path
- Lake Constance - Königsee cycle 410 km
- Cycle Path Romantic Road 420 km
- 7 Swabia Tour 220 km ( runs around the nature park Augsburg Western Woods )
- Iller bike trail 150 km
- Bike path Swabian Alb Altmühltal 90 km
- Günztalradweg 88 km
- Kammeltal Cycle Path
- Mindel Cycle Path
- Steam Locomotive Round 78 km
- Via Danubia
- Kneipp 56 km cycle track
- Co- Radwanderweg 50 km
- " Bog and water " (DLG, GZ )
- " Hot Tour"
- Westallgäuer cheese road 40 km
- Forggenseerundweg 32 km
- Lueg into the country ( Türk home value Ingen )
- Via Julia
- Swabian potato Tour
- Lech Crest Trail: Augsburg -Landsberg -Schongau - feet ( poorly marked, but still quite nice to go )
- Swabian Allgäu trail: Augsburg -Sonthofen
- Bavarian- Swabian Jakobusweg
Swabia is as old Bavaria predominantly Catholic, albeit an important Protestant minority is located mainly in the Ries and the former imperial city of Ulm and Memmingen territories. Except in the former imperial cities of Augsburg, Lindau, Memmingen, Nördlingen, Kaufbeuren and Kempten be held the Lutheran Confession only in a few former imperial knights economic places ( Bächingen an der Brenz, Burtenbach, Haunsheim ). The Catholic Christians are mainly represented by the Diocese of Augsburg, in the district of Donau -Ries in part by the Diocese of Eichstätt. The Allgäu is almost exclusively Catholic.
In Augsburg there is also a Jewish community.
The area fell in the years after the secularisation of 1803 to Bavaria. Only the later Aichach- Friedberg belonged from the beginning ( since the 6th century ) to Bavaria. Apart from the old Bavarian Aichach Swabian- Alemannic dialects are spoken, but also in and around Aichach are Swabian appeals to find ( " Konnsch, muasch " for can / have to ) because it is a typical western Altbayern transitional dialect. However, in self- understanding, the Aichacher despite this dialectal feature of Upper Bavaria.
The language colorings differ due to the dialect continuum of the languages spoken in Württemberg Swabian dialects. Eastern language border opposite the Bavarian local dialects is the Lech with some shifts around Augsburg, Landsberg / Lech, Schongau and feet. This can be seen even on a map: Many places west of the Lech river running on the Swabian-Alemannic -ingen, while many places east of the Lech with the Bavarian - ing end.
The vocabulary of the dialects of Bavarian Swabia is recorded and described in the Swabian dictionary. The Linguistic geography of the various local dialects is illustrated in the Linguistic Atlas of Bavarian Swabia.
¹ 1954 and 1958 GB / BHE
Tags District President
- Josef Fischer ( CSU), 1958-1974
- Georg Simnacher (CSU ), 1974-2003
- Jürgen Reichert (CSU ), since 2003
Since 16 October 2003, Jürgen Reichert (CSU ) Tags District President. His deputies are Alfons Weber and Ursula Lax (both CSU ) and Wolfgang Bähner (SPD).
Coat of arms
The coat of arms was approved on 15 October 1965 decision of the Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior.
Blazon: "Under a golden head of the shield, is a growing, rotbewehrter and golden nimbierter black double-headed eagle, split; forward split of red and silver, back diagonally left five times shared by silver and red, covered with a golden pile. "
The eagle of the ancient empire is not only the Swabian imperial cities of Augsburg, Kaufbeuren, Memmingen, Kempten, Lindau, Donauwörth, Nördlingen, and (with some parts of territories ) Ulm emblem, but also the former extensive imperial Hohenstaufen and the imperial knights economic territories. The split of red and silver plate of the Bishopric of Augsburg is representative of the ecclesiastical territories until 1803, affecting in particular the prince pin Kempten, the abbeys Ottobeuren, Irsee, Rye Castle, Wettenhausen, Ursberg, Kaisheim and Elchingen, as well as the ladies of Lindau be mentioned. The hochstiftisch -Augsburg areas withdrew from the area south of Neresheim up in the Allgäu Alps down, so that by this sign, a broad strip of land on the left of the Lech is directly addressed. With the old coat of arms of the Margraviate of Burgau is particularly Mittelschwaben represented in the emblem of the district with parts of the districts of Günzburg, Illertissen, Neu-Ulm and Krumbach. It will also remember all the immediate worldly territories in the Swabian region up to the end of the Old Kingdom, for example, to the widely scattered areas Fugger, the possession of the complex lines of the House of Oettingen to Nördlingen and finally. well as to the old Wittelsbach territories am Lech and the Danube, and Wemding, Schwangau and Mindelheim Instead heraldic references to the Wittelsbach offered in the present case as Swabian feature the coat of arms until 1805 front Austrian Margraviate of Burgau, which makes a good reference and artistically related to color Augsburg Bishopric crest.
The flag is red-yellow striped with applied crest district.