Tarko-Sale (Russian / Nenets Тарко - Сале ) is a Russian city in the Yamal-Nenets autonomous district with 20,398 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
Tarko-Sale is located in the West Siberian Plain, about 550 kilometers east ( straight line ) of the district capital Salechard and south-east of Novy Urengoy. The city lies on the River Pjakupur, four kilometers downstream joins the Aiwassedapur to Pur.
Tarko-Sale is the administrative center of the Rajons Purowski.
Tarko-Sale is one of the oldest in the region. The name of the village was founded in 1932 derived from the Nenets talka Salja with the meaning settlement on a point of land ( between two rivers ).
In connection with the early development of oil and gas deposits in the region in the 1970s, the settlement grew quickly and in 1976 received the status of an urban-type settlement. On 23 March 2004, the town rights.
Note: Census data (1939 rounded)
Culture and sights
In Tarko -sale houses the Town Museum of Rajons Pur.
Economy and infrastructure
The main industry of the city is the natural gas production and processing. Here, the second largest after Gazprom, RTS -listed natural gas producer Novatek Russia has its headquarters
About ten kilometers west of the city lies the Purowsk opened on this section 1985 railway Tyumen - Surgut - Novy Urengoy their station. The city is so far connected with the railway station and the running also on the far, left bank of the Pjakupur road Surgut - Novy Urengoy only on a pontoon bridge and in the winter ice road.
Tarko-Sale has a small river port on Pjakupur and an airport ( ICAO code USDS ).