Thoiria is a commune in the French department of Jura in the Franche -Comté.
Thoiria is located on 570 m above sea level. M., about 21 km southeast of the town of Lons -le- Saunier (air line). The scattered village extends in the Jura, on a high plateau between the valley section of the Vouglan in the west and the forested chain of the high Jura in the east.
The area of 12.24 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the French Jura. The western part of the municipality is occupied by the plateau of Thoiria, which on average to 580 m above sea level. M. and is located in the wide valley of the Ain. To the east, the municipality's area extends over a slowly rising slope in the vast forest area of the Forêt de la Joux. On a ridge at the headwaters of the Cimante is 878 m above sea level. M. reached the highest elevation of Thoiria. The southern boundary runs along the Cimante, a left tributary of the Ain. Together with its tributaries has buried over time more than 100 m deep erosion valleys in the plateau the Cimante.
The territory of Thoiria was already inhabited in Gallo- Roman times. It remains of a Roman road were discovered. Is first mentioned Thoiria in 1131 under the name Toria. Over time, the spelling on Thoyria the present Thoiria changed. In the Middle Ages Thoiria formed its own little rule, which was dependent on the barony of Clairvaux. Together with the Franche -Comté reached the village with the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678 to France.
The Chapel of Saint -Roch was 1635 donated by residents of the town to be spared from the plague. She was already half decayed, when it was extensively restored in 1824 and enlarged.
With 175 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) Thoiria one of the small towns in the Jura. After the population had decreased significantly in the first half of the 20th century (1896 282 persons were still counted ), a slight increase in population was recorded since the beginning of the 1980s again.
Economy and infrastructure
Thoiria was until well into the 20th century a predominantly coined by agriculture and forestry village. In addition, there are today some of the local small business enterprises. Meanwhile, the village has also changed into a residential community. Many workers are commuters who engage in the larger towns in the vicinity of their work.
The village is located off the major thoroughfares, but by the Department of Road D27 ( Meussia - Clairvaux- les -Lacs ) easily accessible. Another road connection with Barésia -sur- l'Ain.