University of Victoria
Template: Infobox college / Logo missing template: Infobox university / professors missing
The University of Victoria ( UVic ) is a public university in the capital of the province of British Columbia, one of the most important universities in Canada. However, it does not count for the Group of Thirteen, a group of 13 Canadian universities with a focus in research. The predecessor of the UVic was the Victoria College, which was renamed in 1963 in University of Victoria.
The Victoria College from 1903 to 1915 was associated with McGill University in Montreal and offered courses in arts and sciences. The administration was, however, by the local Victoria School Board. The line took over 1903-1908 E.B. Paul, 1908-1915 S. J. Willis.
According to the plans of the federal government, a state university to be built in each province, a Decision authorizing the establishment of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver led 1915. 1920 changed the Victoria College of McGill 's Affiliation to the University of British Columbia. Thus, the administration remained While the School Board, but the premises of the Victoria High School were no longer used, but they moved into Craigdarroch Castle, a building that was built in the 1890s by the coal magnate Robert Dunsmuir. The facility initiated E.B. Paul and P.H. Elliott. The focus of the training was on medicine, law and theology.
Under the direction of J. M. Ewing and W. H. Hickman was the setup step by step in a comprehensive university converted ( 1945-63 ). It represented the Victoria College Council, the University of British Columbia. The Ministry of Education and the Greater Victoria School Board supported this development also.
In 1946, the institute of Craigdarroch to the Lansdowne campus, today's campus was founded in 1971 Camosun College. The local Provincial Normal School in 1956 integrated in the Victoria College as an educational faculty. With the help of the War Department and the Hudson's Bay Company, the acquisition of 110 hectares of land managed at Gordon Head, which was converted to the campus. 1961 was the first bachelor's degree can be achieved.
A separate law, the University Act of 1963, created the legal conditions for detachment from the provincial university. According to the general principles of Canadian universities have a chancellor was chosen and a board of governors. This appointed the president. The Senate, in turn, represented the Faculties and the General Assembly of the university.
- Education - Department of Education
- Engineering - Faculty of Engineering
- Graduate Studies ( Various Faculties ) - courses for master's program
- Human & Social Development - Faculty of Social Sciences
- Child and Youth Care - Children and Jugenerziehung
- Dispute resolution
- Health Information Science - Health Information Sciences
- Public Administration - Public Administration
- Social Work.
- Humanities - Cultural Studies with areas of: English, French, German, and Russian studies, Greece and Romania Studies, Hispanic and Italian Studies, History, Linguistics, Pacific and Asian Studies, Philosophy.
- Continuing Studies
- Political Sciences and Economics - Political Science and Economics
- Medical Sciences - Medical Sciences
- Sciences - with departments: biochemistry and microbiology, biology, chemistry, earth and marine sciences, mathematics and statistics, physics and astronomy.
- Social sciences - anthropology, environmental science, geography, psychology and sociology.
The campus now comprises some 160 hectares in its own buildings are the Departments of Geology and Oceanography, chemistry, climatology and astronomy (Bob Wright Centre), biologists ( Cunningham ), the physician ( Medical Sciences Building ), Microbiology and Biochemistry ( Petch Building ), Geography, political Science, and Mathematics ( Social Sciences and Mathematics ) housed. In addition, the engineering sciences (Engineering Building ) and Economics ( Business and Economics Building ), and the humanities ( Clearihue ), anthropologists, psychologists and sociologists ( Cornett ) and legal scholars ( Fraser ), after pedagogy and music ( MacLaurin ) and a private first Peoples House for the exploration and representation of Aboriginal, so the Inuit, First Nations ( Indians) and the Métis.
In addition, student halls of residence for around 3,200 students, a theater, a cinema and various research initiatives, such as the Centre for Asia - Pacific Initiatives ( CAPI), the Centre on Aging ( Gerontology ), the Centre for the Study of Religion in Society that deals with dealing of the role of religion in society, or the Centre for Global Studies. They mainly have their headquarters in Sedgewick. In the north of the campus are also Built in 1940 Army Lodging, which are under monument protection.
Since the campus was built on the site of the Finnerty Gardens and Mystic Vale, ie strong wooded, semi-natural terrain, are white-tailed deer, owls, and numerous rodents frequent visitors, rarely cougars.