History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Fire Rooster丁酉( at the beginning of the year Fire Monkey丙申)
Syria: 1488/89 ( the year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- JULY 24: A mediated by the Venetian Doge Sebastiano Ziani peace treaty between Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa and Pope Alexander III. Venice leads to one end of the schism ( schism ). The defeated at the Battle of Legnano emperor can no longer anti-pope Calixtus III. hold and recognizes the pontificate of Alexander. The annual Festa della Sensa in Venice reminded of this foreign policy success of the Doge. Calixtus III. can hold on for one more year in Albano before Alexander submits.
- November 25: The Battle of Montgisard carry a small army of the Kingdom of Jerusalem under King Baldwin IV and the Ayyubids under Saladin made . Saladin is surprised with his 26,000 - man army from the daring of the Crusaders, which succeed so that the greatest victory of the Crusades.
- First mention of Fahy, Romont and Zußdorf
- John I the Old of Ibelin, Baron in the Kingdom of Jerusalem ( † 1236 )
- Otto von Botenlauben, German minstrels ( † before 1245 )
- Silvestro Guzzolini, Italian saint († 1267 )