County Fogaras ( German rarely county Fogarasch; Hungarian Fogaras Vármegye Latin comitatus Fogarasensis, Romanian Comitatul Fagaras ) was a historic administrative unit ( county / county) in the Kingdom of Hungary in Transylvania.
The county bordered on Old Romania and to the counties of Sibiu ( Szeben ) Großkokelburg ( Nagy- Küküllő ) and Brasov ( Brassó ). It was 2444 km ² (1910 ) large, dominated by the Fagaras mountains, very wooded, was passed through the north of the River Alt. 1901 had 92 801 mostly Romanian population ( Greek Uniate and Nichtunierte ), (1881: 84 571 inhabitants). Only the community Schirkanyen was still inhabited by Saxons.
Seat of the county was the market Fogarasch at the Aluta, over which led a 270 m long covered bridge. There was a 1613 built by Gábor Bethlen fortified castle, churches and 5 (1881 ) 5,307 inhabitants, which drove trade and commerce and cultivated tobacco. Fogaras was the seat of a district court and had a Protestant school. In Fogaras on July 12, 1849 Józef Bem was defeated by the Russians. In the southeast corner of the county is the bottleneck Bran.
It provided rye, oats, corn, buckwheat, tobacco and wine.
The county was created in 1876 and after were to be waived by an administrative reform, the previously existing chairs, counties and districts / areas and divided into new counties with new limits. Before that was in the same area of the district Fogaras (Hungarian Fogaras Videk, Romanian Tara Fagarasului ) that had existed since the 15th century. After the end of the First World War, the county became part of Greater Romania and Fagaras existed as Judeţul continue until 1950. Communist After several territorial reforms it is today in large part to the circle of Braşov, the western part of the district of Sibiu.
In the early 20th century following chair districts passed ( usually after the name of the administrative headquarters named).
All places are in the present-day Romania.